Strategic information acquisition and the mitigation of global warming
AbstractWe consider the strategic role of uncertainty and information acquisition for the mitigation of global warming which is modeled using a standard framework for private provision of a public good. Prior to the voluntary contribution mechanism, we allow for investments in information about the country-specific benefit of reductions of the emissions of greenhouse gases. We show that information acquisition has a substantial strategic value in the following interaction. Countries may prefer not to learn their valuation of the public good even if information acquisition does not involve a direct cost. This strategic information choice may further decrease the efficiency of the public good provision. -- Diese Arbeit untersucht die strategische Bedeutung von Unsicherheit und Informationsakquise für den Kampf gegen den Klimawandel, der im Standardrahmen der privaten Bereitstellung eines öffentlichen Gutes abgebildet wird. Bevor die Beiträge zum öffentlichen Gut auf freiwilliger Basis gewählt werden, haben Länder die Möglichkeit, in Information über den länderspezifischen Nutzen einer Reduzierung der CO2-Emissionen zu investieren. Es wird gezeigt, dass der Informationsakquise ein substantieller strategischer Wert in der nachgelagerten Interaktion zukommt. Selbst wenn durch die Informationsakquise keine direkten Kosten anfallen, können Länder es vorziehen, ihre Bewertung des öffentlichen Gutes nicht zu erfahren. Diese strategische Informationsentscheidung kann die Effizienz der Bereitstellung des öffentlichen Gutes zusätzlich beeinträchtigen.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB) in its series Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance with number SP II 2008-11.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Private provision of public goods; environmental public goods; information acquisition; uncertainty; global warming;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konrad, Kai A, 1994. "The Strategic Advantage of Being Poor: Private and Public Provision of Public Goods," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 61(241), pages 79-92, February.
- Murdoch, James C. & Sandler, Todd, 1997. "The voluntary provision of a pure public good: The case of reduced CFC emissions and the Montreal Protocol," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 331-349, February.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Hoel, Michael, 1991. "Global environmental problems: The effects of unilateral actions taken by one country," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 55-70, January.
- Murdoch, James C & Sandler, Todd & Sargent, Keith, 1997. "A Tale of Two Collectives: Sulphur versus Nitrogen Oxides Emission Reduction in Europe," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 281-301, May.
- Andreoni, James, 1988. "Privately provided public goods in a large economy: The limits of altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-73, February.
- Warr, Peter G., 1983. "The private provision of a public good is independent of the distribution of income," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 207-211.
- Warwick J. McKibbin & Peter J. Wilcoxen, 2002. "The Role of Economics in Climate Change Policy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(2), pages 107-129, Spring.
- Cornes, Richard & Sandler, Todd, 1985. "The Simple Analytics of Pure Public Good Provision," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 52(205), pages 103-16, February.
- Buchholz, Wolfgang & Konrad, Kai A., 1995. "Strategic transfers and private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 489-505, July.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2006. "The "Stern Review" on the Economics of Climate Change," NBER Working Papers 12741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fredriksson, Per G & Gaston, Noel, 2000. " Ratification of the 1992 Climate Change Convention: What Determines Legislative Delay?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 104(3-4), pages 345-68, September.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Alexander Haupt & Wolfgang Peters, 2005. "International Environmental Agreements and Strategic Voting," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(1), pages 175-195, 03.
- Konrad, Kai A & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1995. " Family Policy with Non-cooperative Families," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(4), pages 581-601, December.
- Wolfgang Buchholz & Kai Konrad, 1994. "Global environmental problems and the strategic choice of technology," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 60(3), pages 299-321, October.
- Buchholz, Wolfgang & Nett, Lorenz & Peters, Wolfgang, 1998. "The strategic advantage of being less skilled," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 35-39, July.
- Caplan, Arthur J. & Ellis, Christopher J. & Silva, Emilson C. D., 1999. "Winners and Losers in a World with Global Warming: Noncooperation, Altruism, and Social Welfare," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 256-271, May.
- Robledo, Julio R., 1999. "Strategic risk taking when there is a public good to be provided privately," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 403-414, March.
- McGuire, M.C. & Andreoni, J., 1991.
"Identifying the Free Riders: A Simple Algorithm for Determining who will Contribute to Public Good,"
90-92-03, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Andreoni, James & McGuire, Martin C., 1993. "Identifying the free riders : A simple algorithm for determining who will contribute to a public good," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 447-454, July.
- Cornes, Richard & Sandler, Todd, 1984. "Easy Riders, Joint Production, and Public Goods," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(375), pages 580-98, September.
- Warr, Peter G., 1982. "Pareto optimal redistribution and private charity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 131-138, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.