Reformulating competition Gasoline content regulation and wholesale gasoline prices
AbstractThe 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments stipulated gasoline content requirements for metropolitan areas with air pollution levels above predetermined federal thresholds. The legislation led to exogenous changes in the type of gasoline required for sale across U.S. metropolitan areas. This paper uses a panel of detailed wholesale gasoline price data to estimate the effect of gasoline content regulation on wholesale prices and price volatility. We investigate the extent to which the estimated price effects are driven by changes in the number of suppliers versus geographic segmentation resulting from regulation. We find that prices in regulated metropolitan areas increase significantly, relative to a control group, by an average of 3 cents per gallon. The price effect, however, varies by 8 cents per gallon across regulated markets and the heterogeneity across markets is correlated with the degree of geographic isolation generated by the discontinuous regulatory requirements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
Volume (Year): 55 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622870
Other versions of this item:
- Brown, Jennifer & Hastings, Justine & Mansur, Erin T. & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2006. "Reformulating competition? Gasoline content regulation and wholesale gasoline prices," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1010R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy, revised Jan 2007.
- Brown, Jennifer & Hastings, Justine & Mansur, Erin T. & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2007. "Reformulating Competition? Gasoline Content Regulation and Wholesale Gasoline Prices," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt9v59q1ck, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesus Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2012.
"On the Dynamics of Gasoline Market Integration in the United States: Evidence from a Pair-wise Approach,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1230, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Holmes, Mark J. & Otero, Jesús & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2013. "On the dynamics of gasoline market integration in the United States: Evidence from a pair-wise approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 503-510.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesus Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2012. "On the dynamics of gasoline market integration in the United States: Evidence from a pair wise approach," Discussion Paper Series 2012_10, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Oct 2012.
- Mark J. Holmes & Jesús Otero & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2012. "On the Dynamics of Gasoline Market Integration in the United States: Evidence from a Pair-Wise Approach," Working Paper Series 68_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Du, Xiaodong & Hayes, Dermot J., 2009.
"The impact of ethanol production on US and regional gasoline markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3227-3234, August.
- Xiaodong Du & Dermot J. Hayes, 2008. "Impact of Ethanol Production on U.S. and Regional Gasoline Prices and on the Profitability of the U.S. Oil Refinery Industry, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp467, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Du, Xiaodong & Hayes, Dermot J., 2010. "The Impact of Ethanol Production on U.S. And Regional Gasoline Markets," Staff General Research Papers 31483, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shanjun Li & Christopher Timmins & Roger H. von Haefen, 2009.
"How Do Gasoline Prices Affect Fleet Fuel Economy?,"
American Economic Journal: Economic Policy,
American Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 113-37, August.
- Shanjun Li & Joshua Linn & Erich Muehlegger, 2012.
"Gasoline Taxes and Consumer Behavior,"
NBER Working Papers
17891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maximilian Auffhammer & Ryan Kellogg, 2011. "Clearing the Air? The Effects of Gasoline Content Regulation on Air Quality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(6), pages 2687-2722, October.
- Muehlegger, Erich, 2006.
"Gasoline Price Spikes and Regional Gasoline Content Regulation: A Structural Approach,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-015, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Erich J. Muehlegger, 2004. "Gasoline Price Spikes and Regional Gasoline Content Regulations - A Structural Approach," Working Papers 0421, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Adriana Z. Fernandez & Robert W. Gilmer & Jonathon L. Story, 2007. "Gasoline content regulation as a trade barrier: do boutique fuels discourage fuel imports?," Working Papers 0709, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Muehlegger, Erich, 2006. "Market Effects of Regulatory Heterogeneity: A Study of Regional Gasoline Content Regulations," Working Paper Series rwp06-021, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Walls, W.D. & Rusco, Frank & Kendix, Michael, 2011. "Biofuels policy and the US market for motor fuels: Empirical analysis of ethanol splashing," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 3999-4006, July.
- Lint Barrage & Eric Chyn & Justine Hastings, 2014. "Advertising, Reputation, and Environmental Stewardship: Evidence from the BP Oil Spill," NBER Working Papers 19838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, Soren T. & Elzinga, Andrew, 2014. "A ban on one is a boon for the other: Strict gasoline content rules and implicit ethanol blending mandates," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 258-273.
- Kendix, Michael & Walls, W.D., 2010. "Oil industry consolidation and refined product prices: Evidence from US wholesale gasoline terminals," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3498-3507, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.