Interaction effects of restructuring decisions on operating profit following performance shocks
AbstractThis paper examines the interaction effects of restructuring activities for a sample of Australian firms experiencing significant declines in operating performance. Our sample firms respond to performance shocks with both financial and corporate restructuring and they achieve significant improvements in operating profits in each of the first 3 years following the shocks. We find that financial and corporate restructuring have both contemporaneous and lagged impact on operating performance. Most importantly, we show that the interaction of restructuring events has a strong influence on the corporate recovery process. We conclude that financial and corporate restructuring play complementary as well as interactive role in reversing a declining trend in operating profits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economics and Business.
Volume (Year): 61 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconbus
Operating performance Restructuring actions Interaction effects Performance shocks;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randall Morck & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1988.
"Alternative Mechanisms for Corporate Control,"
NBER Working Papers
2532, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall Morck & Andrel Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1988. "Alternative Mechanisms for Corporate Control," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 52, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- John, Kose & Lang, Larry H P & Netter, Jeffry, 1992. " The Voluntary Restructuring of Large Firms in Response to Performance Decline," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 891-917, July.
- Ofek, Eli, 1993. "Capital structure and firm response to poor performance: An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 3-30, August.
- Aboody, David & Barth, Mary E. & Kasznik, Ron, 1999. "Revaluations of fixed assets and future firm performance: Evidence from the UK1," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1-3), pages 149-178, January.
- Denis, David J. & Kruse, Timothy A., 2000. "Managerial discipline and corporate restructuring following performance declines," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 391-424, March.
- Alfred Yawson, 2006. "Evaluating the Characteristics of Corporate Boards Associated with Layoff Decisions," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 75-84, 03.
- Gustavo Grullon & Roni Michaely & Bhaskaran Swaminathan, 2002. "Are Dividend Changes a Sign of Firm Maturity?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(3), pages 387-424, July.
- Berger, Philip G. & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Diversification's effect on firm value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 39-65, January.
- Warner, Jerold B. & Watts, Ross L. & Wruck, Karen H., 1988. "Stock prices and top management changes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 461-492, January.
- Wang, Changyun, 2005. "Ownership and operating performance of Chinese IPOs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1835-1856, July.
- Lang, Larry & Poulsen, Annette & Stulz, Rene, 1995.
"Asset sales, firm performance, and the agency costs of managerial discretion,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 3-37, January.
- Larry Lang & Annette Poulsen & Rene M. Stulz, 1994. "Asset Sales, Firm Performance, and the Agency Costs of Managerial Discretion," NBER Working Papers 4654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Shivdasani, Anil, 1997. "Corporate restructuring during performance declines in Japan," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 29-65, October.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Weisbach, Michael S., 1995. "CEO turnover and the firm's investment decisions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 159-188, February.
- Chowdhury, Shamsud D. & Lang, James R., 1996. "Turnaround in small firms: An assessment of efficiency strategies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 169-178, June.
- Roni Michaely & Richard H. Thaler & Kent Womack, 1994.
"Price Reactions to Dividend Initiations and Omissions: Overreaction or Drift?,"
NBER Working Papers
4778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michaely, Roni & Thaler, Richard H & Womack, Kent L, 1995. " Price Reactions to Dividend Initiations and Omissions: Overreaction or Drift?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 573-608, June.
- John, Kose & Ofek, Eli, 1995. "Asset sales and increase in focus," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 105-126, January.
- Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Stulz, Rene M. & Walkling, Ralph A., 2002. "Divestitures and the liquidity of the market for corporate assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 117-144, April.
- Suchard, Jo-Ann & Singh, Manohar & Barr, Robert, 2001. "The market effects of CEO turnover in Australian firms," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-27, January.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Matthias Kahl, 2002. "Economic Distress, Financial Distress, and Dynamic Liquidation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 135-168, 02.
- Weisbach, Michael S., 1988. "Outside directors and CEO turnover," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 431-460, January.
- Chen, Peter & Mehrotra, Vikas & Sivakumar, Ranjini & Yu, Wayne W., 2001. "Layoffs, shareholders' wealth, and corporate performance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 171-199, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.