Control mechanisms across a buyer-supplier relationship quality matrix
AbstractThis study develops a buyer-supplier RQ matrix and explores changes in the use of selected control mechanisms, including coercive power, non-coercive power, contracts, and relational norms, across this matrix. The results indicate, under four distinct contexts of RQ, that coercive power execution is relatively low and has no significant differences in different quadrants of the matrix; that contract execution is relatively high and likewise has no significant differences; and that execution of non-coercive power and relational norms increases as the level of RQ improves. These findings reveal the important roles of contracts, the limited roles of coercive power, and the changing roles of non-coercive power and relational norms, as displayed in four distinct contexts of RQ. They make new contributions to the buyer-supplier relationship management literature and provide insightful theoretical guidance for buyer-supplier relationship managerial practice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 63 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Buyer-supplier relationship RQ Control mechanism Cluster analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erin Anderson & Barton Weitz, 1989. "Determinants of Continuity in Conventional Industrial Channel Dyads," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(4), pages 310-323.
- Lui, Steven S. & Ngo, Hang-yue & Hon, Alice H.Y., 2006. "Coercive strategy in interfirm cooperation: Mediating roles of interpersonal and interorganizational trust," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 466-474, April.
- Geyskens, I. & Steenkamp, J.E.B.M. & Scheer, L.K. & Kumar, N., 1996. "The effects of trust and interdependence on relationship commitment: A trans-Atlantic study," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-117462, Tilburg University.
- M. H. De Cannière & P. De Pelsmacker & M. Geuens, 2008.
"Relationship Quality and the Theory of Planned Behavior Models of Behavioral Intentions and Purchase Behavior,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
08/492, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- De Cannière, Marie Hélène & De Pelsmacker, Patrick & Geuens, Maggie, 2009. "Relationship Quality and the Theory of Planned Behavior models of behavioral intentions and purchase behavior," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 82-92, January.
- Stickel, Eberhard, 2001. "Uncertainty reduction in a competitive environment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 169-177, March.
- Rauyruen, Papassapa & Miller, Kenneth E., 2007. "Relationship quality as a predictor of B2B customer loyalty," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 21-31, January.
- Ryu, Sungmin & Park, Jeong Eun & Min, Soonhong, 2007. "Factors of determining long-term orientation in interfirm relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(12), pages 1225-1233, December.
- Bejou, David & Wray, Barry & Ingram, Thomas N., 1996. "Determinants of relationship quality: An artificial neural network analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 137-143, June.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Dwyer, Mark, 1998. "Business cycle analysis without much theory A look at structural VARs," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 57-88.
- Buvik, Arnt & Reve, Torger, 2001. "Asymmetrical deployment of specific assets and contractual safeguarding in industrial purchasing relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 101-113, February.
- Ryu, Sungmin & Kabadayi, Sertan & Chung, Christina, 2007. "The relationship between unilateral and bilateral control mechanisms:The contextual effect of long-term orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 681-689, July.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 1993. "Contested Exchange versus the Governance of Contractual Relations," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 103-108, Winter.
- Niesten, Eva & Jolink, Albert, 2012. "Incentives, opportunism and behavioral uncertainty in electricity industries," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 1031-1039.
- Jiuh-Biing Sheu, 2014. "Green Supply Chain Collaboration for Fashionable Consumer Electronics Products under Third-Party Power Intervention—A Resource Dependence Perspective," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 6(5), pages 2832-2875, May.
- Shou, Yongyi & Feng, Yi & Zheng, Jingjing & Wang, Guofeng & Yeboah, Nyamah Edmond, 2013. "Power source and its effect on customer–supplier relationships: An empirical study in Yangtze River Delta," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 118-128.
- Kashyap, Vishal & Sivadas, Eugene, 2012. "An exploratory examination of shared values in channel relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(5), pages 586-593.
- Florian Hémont & Bernard Grabot & Anne Mayere, 2010. "Cooperation in Supply Chains: from practical problems to conceptual models," Post-Print hal-00952734, HAL.
- Bellouma Meryem, 2011. "Governance Mechanisms and Buyer Supplier Relationship:Static and Dynamic Panel Data Evidence from Tunisian Exporting SMEs," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 1(3), pages 88-98, September.
- Matevž Rašković & Maja Makovec Brenčić & Anuška Ferligoj & Jan C. Fransoo, 2013. "Relationship learning as a dimension of relationship quality: tentative evidence from transnational buyer-supplier relationships," Tržište/Market, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb, vol. 25(1), pages 37-50.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.