A hostage theory of joint ventures: why do Japanese investors choose partial over full acquisitions to enter the United States?
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 57 (2004)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Hennart, J.-F. & Park, Y.R., 1993.
"Greenfield vs. Acquisition : the strategy of Japanes investors in the United states,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-174430, Tilburg University.
- Jean-François Hennart & Young-Ryeol Park, 1993. "Greenfield vs. Acquisition: The Strategy of Japanese Investors in the United States," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(9), pages 1054-1070, September.
- Spence, Michael, 1974. "Competitive and optimal responses to signals: An analysis of efficiency and distribution," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 296-332, March.
- Luo, Yadong, 2002. "Partnering with foreign businesses: perspectives from Chinese firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 481-493, June.
- Hennart, J.-F.M.A. & Reddy, S., 1997. "The choice between mergers/acquisitions and joint ventures: the case of Japanese investors in the United States," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-175778, Tilburg University.
- Benjamin Gomes-Casseres, 1990. "Firm Ownership Preferences and Host Government Restrictions: An Integrated Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Telser, L G, 1980. "A Theory of Self-enforcing Agreements," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 27-44, January.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1983. "Credible Commitments: Using Hostages to Support Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 519-40, September.
- Bruce Kogut, 1991. "Joint Ventures and the Option to Expand and Acquire," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33, January.
- Harris, Robert S & Ravenscraft, David, 1991. " The Role of Acquisitions in Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from the U.S. Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 825-44, July.
- Antonio Majocchi & Ulrike Mayrhofer & Joaquin Camps, 2010. "The choice between joint ventures and non equity-alliances: evidence from Italian firms," Post-Print halshs-00690216, HAL.
- Somlev, Ilian P. & Hoshino, Yasuo, 2005. "Influence of location factors on establishment and ownership of foreign investments: The case of the Japanese manufacturing firms in Europe," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 577-598, October.
- Stefano Elia & Lucia Piscitello & Sergio Mariotti, 2013. "Industrial Districts, Core Cities And Ownership Strategy Of Multinational Firms Investing In Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa13p27, European Regional Science Association.
- Paloma Almodóvar & José Emilio Navas López & Patricia Huerta Riveros, 2009. "La tipología estratégica como factor determinante de la empresa conjunta internacional," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 33(3), pages 407-438, September.
- Piscitello , Lucia & Rabellotti , Roberta & Scalera , Vittoria Giada, 2014. "Chinese and Indian M&As in Europe: The relationship between motive and ownership choice," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2014/3, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Park, Byung Il & Ghauri, Pervez N., 2011. "Key factors affecting acquisition of technological capabilities from foreign acquiring firms by small and medium sized local firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 116-125, January.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Glaister, Keith W. & Tatoglu, Ekrem, 2007. "Institutional and transaction cost influences on MNEs' ownership strategies of their affiliates: Evidence from an emerging market," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 418-434, December.
- Malhotra, Shavin & Sivakumar, K. & Zhu, PengCheng, 2011. "Curvilinear relationship between cultural distance and equity participation: An empirical analysis of cross-border acquisitions," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 316-332.
- Klaus Meyer & Ornjira Thaijongrak, 2013. "The dynamics of emerging economy MNEs: How the internationalization process model can guide future research," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 1125-1153, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.