Omega performance measure and portfolio insurance
AbstractWe analyze the performance of the two main portfolio insurance methods, the OBPI and CPPI strategies, using downside risk measures. For this purpose, we introduce Kappa performance measures and especially the Omega measure. These measures take account of the entire return distribution. We show that the CPPI method performs better than the OBPI. As a-by-product, we determine the set of threshold values for these risk/reward performance measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Portfolio insurance Performance measure Omega ratio;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Annaert, Jan & Osselaer, Sofieke Van & Verstraete, Bert, 2009. "Performance evaluation of portfolio insurance strategies using stochastic dominance criteria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 272-280, February.
- Brennan, M.J. & Solanki, R., 1981. "Optimal Portfolio Insurance," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(03), pages 279-300, September.
- Bird, Ron & Cunningham, Ross & Dennis, David & Tippett, Mark, 1990. "Portfolio insurance: a simulation under different market conditions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-19, March.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2005:i:16:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Vila, Jean-Luc, 1992. "Optimal Dynamic Trading with Leverage Constraints," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 151-168, June.
- El Karoui, Nicole & Jeanblanc, Monique & Lacoste, Vincent, 2005. "Optimal portfolio management with American capital guarantee," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 449-468, March.
- De Giorgi, Enrico, 2005.
"Reward-risk portfolio selection and stochastic dominance,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 895-926, April.
- Enrico De Giorgi, . "Reward-Risk Portfolio Selection and Stochastic Dominance," IEW - Working Papers 121, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Zakamouline, Valeri & Koekebakker, Steen, 2009. "Portfolio performance evaluation with generalized Sharpe ratios: Beyond the mean and variance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1242-1254, July.
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
- Dierkes, Maik & Erner, Carsten & Zeisberger, Stefan, 2010. "Investment horizon and the attractiveness of investment strategies: A behavioral approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1032-1046, May.
- Christian Pedersen & Stephen Satchell, 2002. "On the foundation of performance measures under asymmetric returns," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 217-223.
- Christian S. Pedersen & Stephen E. Satchell, 1998. "An Extended Family of Financial-Risk Measures," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(2), pages 89-117, December.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1979.
"Who Should Buy Portfolio Insurance?,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
95, University of California at Berkeley.
- Rachev, Svetlozar & Jasic, Teo & Stoyanov, Stoyan & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2007. "Momentum strategies based on reward-risk stock selection criteria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2325-2346, August.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Hwang, Soosung & Satchell, Steve E., 2010. "How loss averse are investors in financial markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2425-2438, October.
- Simon Benninga & Marshall Blume, . "On the Optimality of Portfolio Insurance," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 5-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Robert Jarrow & Feng Zhao, 2006. "Downside Loss Aversion and Portfolio Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(4), pages 558-566, April.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1989. "Portfolio Insurance and Financial Market Equilibrium," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(4), pages 455-72, October.
- S. G. Kou, 2002. "A Jump-Diffusion Model for Option Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 1086-1101, August.
- Black, Fischer & Perold, AndreF., 1992. "Theory of constant proportion portfolio insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 403-426.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Zhou, Zhongquan, 1996. " Equilibrium Analysis of Portfolio Insurance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1379-1403, September.
- Peter C. Fishburn, 1984. "Foundations of Risk Measurement. I. Risk As Probable Loss," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(4), pages 396-406, April.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1988. " Time-Invariant Portfolio Insurance Strategies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 283-99, June.
- Cesari, Riccardo & Cremonini, David, 2003. "Benchmarking, portfolio insurance and technical analysis: a Monte Carlo comparison of dynamic strategies of asset allocation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 987-1011, April.
- Benninga, Simon & Blume, Marshall E, 1985. " On the Optimality of Portfolio Insurance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(5), pages 1341-52, December.
- Simon Benninga & Marshall Blume, . "On the Optimality of Portfolio Insurance," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 05-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Haim Levy, 1992. "Stochastic Dominance and Expected Utility: Survey and Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(4), pages 555-593, April.
- Chan, Ngai Hang & Chen, Song Xi & Peng, Liang & Yu, Cindy L., 2009. "Empirical Likelihood Methods Based on Characteristic Functions With Applications to LÃ©vy Processes," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(488), pages 1621-1630.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- S. G. Kou & Hui Wang, 2004. "Option Pricing Under a Double Exponential Jump Diffusion Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1178-1192, September.
- Basak, Suleyman, 1995. "A General Equilibrium Model of Portfolio Insurance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(4), pages 1059-90.
- Farinelli, Simone & Tibiletti, Luisa, 2008. "Sharpe thinking in asset ranking with one-sided measures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1542-1547, March.
- Unser, Matthias, 2000. "Lower partial moments as measures of perceived risk: An experimental study," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 253-280, June.
- Hadar, Josef & Russell, William R, 1969. "Rules for Ordering Uncertain Prospects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 25-34, March.
- Mahayni, Antje & Schneider, Judith C., 2012. "Variable annuities and the option to seek risk: Why should you diversify?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 2417-2428.
- Rania Hentati-Kaffel & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2012.
"Structured portfolio analysis under SharpeOmega ratio,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
12002, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Rania Hentati & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2012. "Structured portfolio analysis under SharpeOmega ratio," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00657327, HAL.
- Rania Hentati & Jean-Luc Prigent, 2012. "Structured portfolio analysis under SharpeOmega ratio," Working Papers hal-00657327, HAL.
- Pézier, Jacques & Scheller, Johanna, 2013. "Best portfolio insurance for long-term investment strategies in realistic conditions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 263-274.
- Jiang, Chonghui & Ma, Yongkai & An, Yunbi, 2009. "The effectiveness of the VaR-based portfolio insurance strategy: An empirical analysis," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 185-197, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.