Portfolio Insurance and Financial Market Equilibrium
AbstractThis article compares a capital market in which prices are set by a single expected utility maximizing investor with a market in which the expected utility maximizing investor owns only a part of the wealth, the balance being held by an investor who follows a portfolio insurance strategy. Comparative values for the market risk premium, the cost of insurance, the market volatility, and the level of interest rates are computed for different levels of portfolio insurance. Copyright 1989 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Business.
Volume (Year): 62 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JB/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alexander, 2001.
"Value-at-Risk-Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 371-405.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 06-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Suleyman Basak & Alexander Shapiro, 1999. "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-032, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Suleyman Basak & Alex Shapiro, . "Value-at-Risk Based Risk Management: Optimal Policies and Asset Prices," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 6-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- K. Ronnie Sircar & George Papanicolaou, 1998. "General Black-Scholes models accounting for increased market volatility from hedging strategies," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 45-82.
- Bertrand, Philippe & Prigent, Jean-luc, 2011. "Omega performance measure and portfolio insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1811-1823, July.
- Balder, Sven & Brandl, Michael & Mahayni, Antje, 2009. "Effectiveness of CPPI strategies under discrete-time trading," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 204-220, January.
- Balduzzi, Pierluigi & Kallal, Hedi & Longin, Francois, 1996. "Minimal returns and the breakdown of the price-volume relation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 265-269, February.
- Eric Hillebrand, 2005. "Mean Reversion Expectations and the 1987 Stock Market Crash: An Empirical Investigation," Finance 0501015, EconWPA.
- Christophe Faugere & Julian Van Erlach, 2003. "The Equity Premium: Explained by GDP Growth and Consistent with Portfolio Insurance," Finance 0311004, EconWPA.
- Adlai Fisher, 1999. "Multivariate Stock Returns Around Extreme Events: A Reassessment of Economic Fundamentals and the 1987 Market Crash," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-071, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Pradipkumar Ramanlal & Steven Mann, 1998. "Portfolio Insurance Strategies when Hedging Affects Share Prices," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 23-35, February.
- Matteo Del Vigna, 2011. "Market equilibrium with heterogeneous behavioural and classical investors' preferences," DiMaD Working Papers 2011-09, Dipartimento di Matematica per le Decisioni, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze.
- Carole Bernard & Franck Moraux & Ludger Rueschendorf & Steven Vanduffel, 2013. "Optimal Payoffs under State-dependent Constraints," Papers 1308.6465, arXiv.org.
- Bernardo, Antonio E. & Welch, Ivo, 2002.
"Financial Market Runs,"
University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management
qt0zd313hf, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Basak, Suleyman, 2002. "A comparative study of portfolio insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 1217-1241, July.
- Bhamra, Harjoat Singh & Uppal, Raman, 2006. "The Effect of Introducing a Non-redundant Derivative on the Volatility of Stock-Market Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 5726, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tepla, Lucie, 2001. "Optimal investment with minimum performance constraints," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1629-1645, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.