Multi-country event-study methods
AbstractWe provide the first simulation evidence of event-study test performance in multi-country non-US samples. The nonparametric rank and generalized sign tests are more powerful than two common parametric tests, especially in multi-day windows. The two nonparametric tests are mostly well specified, but neither is perfectly specified in all situations. The parametric standardized cross-sectional test can provide a useful robustness check but is less powerful than the nonparametric tests and rejects too often in single-market samples and when firm-specific events affect the market index. Local-currency market-model abnormal returns using national market indexes are sufficient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Event-study methodology Datastream Stock-price reaction International finance Market-moving events;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colm Kearney & Margaret Lynch, 2005.
"Volume and Skewness in International Equity Markets,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Hutson, Elaine & Kearney, Colm & Lynch, Margaret, 2008. "Volume and skewness in international equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1255-1268, July.
- repec:ner:louvai:info:hdl:2078/18134 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matías Braun & Borja Larrain, 2009. "Do IPOs Affect the Prices of Other Stocks? Evidence from Emerging Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(4), pages 1505-1544, April.
- Boehmer, Ekkehart & Masumeci, Jim & Poulsen, Annette B., 1991. "Event-study methodology under conditions of event-induced variance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 253-272, December.
- Corrado, Charles J. & Zivney, Terry L., 1992. "The Specification and Power of the Sign Test in Event Study Hypothesis Tests Using Daily Stock Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 465-478, September.
- Harvey, Campbell R. & Lins, Karl V. & Roper, Andrew H., 2004.
"The effect of capital structure when expected agency costs are extreme,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 3-30, October.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Karl V. Lins & Andrew H. Roper, 2001. "The Effect of Capital Structure When Expected Agency Costs are Extreme," NBER Working Papers 8452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dodd, Peter & Warner, Jerold B., 1983. "On corporate governance : A study of proxy contests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 401-438, April.
- Bailey, Warren & Andrew Karolyi, G. & Salva, Carolina, 2006.
"The economic consequences of increased disclosure: Evidence from international cross-listings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 175-213, July.
- Bailey, Warren & Karolyi, G. Andrew & Salva, Carolina, 2004. "The Economic Consequences of Increased Disclosure:Evidence from International Cross-Listings," Working Paper Series 2004-7, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Ozgur S. Ince & R. Burt Porter, 2006. "INDIVIDUAL EQUITY RETURN DATA FROM THOMSON DATASTREAM: HANDLE WITH CARE!," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 29(4), pages 463-479.
- Cowan, Arnold Richard, 1993. "Tests for cumulative abnormal returns over long periods: Simulation evidence," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 51-68.
- Arnold R. Cowan & Anne M.A. Sergeant, 1996. "Trading Frequency and Event Study Test Specification," Finance 9610002, EconWPA.
- Dutta, Shantanu & Jog, Vijay, 2009. "The long-term performance of acquiring firms: A re-examination of an anomaly," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1400-1412, August.
- Cole, Rebel A. & Moshirian, Fariborz & Wu, Qiongbing, 2008.
"Bank stock returns and economic growth,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 995-1007, June.
- Nihat Aktas & Eric de Bodt & Richard Roll, 2007. "Is European M&A Regulation Protectionist?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(522), pages 1096-1121, 07.
- Schmid, Friedrich & Trede, Mark, 2003. "Simple tests for peakedness, fat tails and leptokurtosis based on quantiles," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 1-12, May.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Jin, Li & Myers, Stewart C., 2006. "R2 around the world: New theory and new tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 257-292, February.
- Robert Savickas, 2003. "Event-Induced Volatility and Tests for Abnormal Performance," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(2), pages 165-178.
- Wuertz, Diethelm & Katzgraber, Helmut, 2009. "Precise finite-sample quantiles of the Jarque-Bera adjusted Lagrange multiplier test," MPRA Paper 19155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Cowan, Arnold R. & Sergeant, Anne M. A., 1996. "Trading frequency and event study test specification," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1731-1757, December.
- Behr, Patrick & Güttler, André, 2008. "The informational content of unsolicited ratings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 587-599, April.
- Campbell, Cynthia J. & Wesley, Charles E., 1993. "Measuring security price performance using daily NASDAQ returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 73-92, February.
- Aktas, Nihat & de Bodt, Eric & Roll, Richard, 2004. "Market Response to European Regulation of Business Combinations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(04), pages 731-757, December.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1986. "Valuation effects of security offerings and the issuance process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 31-60.
- Corrado, Charles J., 1989. "A nonparametric test for abnormal security-price performance in event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 385-395, August.
- Maynes, Elizabeth & Rumsey, John, 1993. "Conducting event studies with thinly traded stocks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 145-157, February.
- Christophe Godlewski, 2013. "Does renegotiation of financial contracts matter for shareholders? Empirical evidence from Europe," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2013-03, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Peter S. Schmidt & Therese Werner, 2012. "Channeling the final Say in Politics," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 12/165, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Aktas, Nihat & de Bodt, Eric & Cousin, Jean-Gabriel, 2011. "Do financial markets care about SRI? Evidence from mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1753-1761, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.