Event-Induced Volatility and Tests for Abnormal Performance
AbstractI analyze a simple test statistic for mean abnormal returns in the presence of stochastic volatility during both event and nonevent windows and in the presence of event-induced variance increases. Unlike previous tests, the parametric test evaluated here does not require that the volatility effect of the event be the same across all securities. Simulations show that the test exhibits nontrivial gains in power over previously developed parametric and nonparametric tests, and the true null hypothesis is rejected at appropriate levels. 2003 The Southern Finance Association and the Southwestern Finance Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association in its journal Journal of Financial Research.
Volume (Year): 26 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0270-2592
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John J. García and Francesc Trillas, 2012.
"Regulatory Reform and Corporate Control in European Energy Industries,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2012/30, European University Institute.
- John J. García & Francesc Trillas, 2012. "Regulatory Reform and Corporate Control in European Energy Industries," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 010664, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Campbell, Cynthia J. & Cowan, Arnold R. & Salotti, Valentina, 2010. "Multi-country event-study methods," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 3078-3090, December.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Nicolas Couderc, 2005.
"What drives the market value of firms in the Defense industry ?,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
bla06037, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), revised Apr 2006.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Couderc, Nicolas, 2008. "What drives the market value of firms in the defense industry," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 14-32.
- John J. García & Francesc Trillas, 2011.
"Control corporativo y riqueza de los accionistas en el sector eléctrico europeo (2000-2007),"
DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF
010660, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- John García & Francesc Trillas, 2011. "Control corporativo y riqueza de los accionistas en el sector eléctrico europeo (2000-2007)," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 13(25), pages 297-319, July-Dece.
- Ronald Bremer & Bonnie Buchanan & Philip English, 2011. "The advantages of using quarterly returns for long-term event studies," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 491-516, May.
- Chortareas, Georgios & Cipollini, Andrea & Eissa, Mohamed Abdelaziz, 2012. "Switching to floating exchange rates, devaluations, and stock returns in MENA countries," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 119-127.
- Ulrich Oberndorfer & Marcus Wagner & Andreas Ziegler, 2011. "Does the Stock Market Value the Inclusion in a Sustainability Stock Index? An Event Study Analysis for German Firms," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201130, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Oberndorfer, Ulrich & Ulbricht, Dirk, 2007.
"Lost in Transmission? Stock Market Impacts of the 2006 European Gas Crisis,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
07-030, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Ulrich Oberndorfer & Dirk Ulbricht & Janina Ketterer, 2007. "Lost in Transmission? Stock Market Impacts of the 2006 European Gas Crisis," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 41, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- John J. García & Francesc Trillas, 2013. "European energy industry shocks, corporate control and firms' value," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 010928, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
- Demirer, RIza & Kutan, Ali M., 2010. "The behavior of crude oil spot and futures prices around OPEC and SPR announcements: An event study perspective," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1467-1476, November.
- Aktas, Nihat & de Bodt, Eric & Cousin, Jean-Gabriel, 2007. "Event studies with a contaminated estimation period," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 129-145, March.
- Mazouz, Khelifa & Joseph, Nathan Lael & Palliere, Clement, 2009. "Stock index reaction to large price changes: Evidence from major Asian stock indexes," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 444-459, September.
- Mazouz, Khelifa & Saadouni, Bharim, 2007. "New evidence on the price and liquidity effects of the FTSE 100 index revisions," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 223-241.
- Kryzanowski, Lawrence & Lazrak, Skander & Rakita, Ian, 2010. "Behavior of liquidity and returns around Canadian seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2954-2967, December.
- Devaney, Michael, 2012. "Financial crisis, REIT short-sell restrictions and event induced volatility," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 219-226.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00115655 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carl Pacini & William Hillison, 2003. "Client-firm market reaction to regulatory action against a major accounting firm," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 279-299, September.
- Mazouz, Khelifa & Wang, Jian, 2014. "Are commodity futures markets short-term efficient? An empirical investigation," 88th Annual Conference, April 9-11, 2014, AgroParisTech, Paris, France 169763, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.