A practical approach to validating a PD model
AbstractThe capital adequacy framework Basel II aims to promote the adoption of stronger risk management practices by the banking industry. The implementation makes validation of credit risk models more important. Lenders therefore need a validation methodology to convince their supervisors that their credit scoring models are performing well. In this paper we take up the challenge to propose and implement a simple validation methodology that can be used by banks to validate their credit risk modelling exercise. We will contextualise the proposed methodology by applying it to a default model of mortgage loans of a commercial bank in the Netherlands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Credit risk Probability of default Basel II Statistical validation Logit model;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCullough, B. D. & McGeary, Kerry Anne & Harrison, Teresa D., 2006. "Lessons from the JMCB Archive," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(4), pages 1093-1107, June.
- Dwyer, Douglas W. & Stein, Roger M., 2006. "Inferring the default rate in a population by comparing two incomplete default databases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 797-810, March.
- Dewald, William G & Thursby, Jerry G & Anderson, Richard G, 1986. "Replication in Empirical Economics: The Journal of Money, Credit and Banking Project," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 587-603, September.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Blochlinger, Andreas & Leippold, Markus, 2006. "Economic benefit of powerful credit scoring," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 851-873, March.
- J.S. Cramer, 2000.
"Scoring Bank Loans that may go wrong: A Case Study,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
00-090/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- J. S. Cramer, 2004. "Scoring bank loans that may go wrong: a case study," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 58(3), pages 365-380.
- Carling, Kenneth & Jacobson, Tor & Linde, Jesper & Roszbach, Kasper, 2007. "Corporate credit risk modeling and the macroeconomy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 845-868, March.
- Jürg M. Blum, 2007. "Why 'Basel II' May Need a Leverage Ratio Restriction," Working Papers 2007-04, Swiss National Bank.
- Stein, Roger M., 2005. "The relationship between default prediction and lending profits: Integrating ROC analysis and loan pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1213-1236, May.
- Francis X. Diebold & Celia Chen, 1993.
"Testing structural stability with endogenous break point: a size comparison of analytic and bootstrap procedures,"
93-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Chen, Celia, 1996. "Testing structural stability with endogenous breakpoint A size comparison of analytic and bootstrap procedures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 221-241, January.
- Aussenegg, Wolfgang & Resch, Florian & Winkler, Gerhard, 2011. "Pitfalls and remedies in testing the calibration quality of rating systems," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 698-708, March.
- Rosen, Dan & Saunders, David, 2010. "Risk factor contributions in portfolio credit risk models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 336-349, February.
- Dragoş Bolocan & Cristian Litan, 2011. "Estimating the Probability of Default with Applications in Provisioning the Portfolio of Clients of a Credit Institution," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 271-285, December.
- Clara Cardone-Riportella & Antonio Trujillo-Ponce & Anahí Briozzo, 2013. "Analyzing the role of mutual guarantee societies on bank capital requirements for small and medium-sized enterprises," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 142-159, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.