The stocks at stake: Return and risk in socially responsible investment
AbstractWe relate US portfolio returns, book-to-market values and excess stock returns to different dimensions of socially responsible performance. We find that socially responsible investing (SRI) impacts on stock returns by lowering the book-to-market ratio and not by generating positive alphas. Our result is consistent with the theoretical work suggesting that SRI is reflected in demand differences between SRI and non-SRI stock. It also explains why so few studies are able to establish a link between alpha's and SRI.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Financial performance Corporate governance Corporate social responsibility Stakeholder management GMM Risk Return;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Hong, Harrison & Kacperczyk, Marcin, 2009. "The price of sin: The effects of social norms on markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 15-36, July.
- Driessen, Joost & Laeven, Luc, 2007. "International portfolio diversification benefits: Cross-country evidence from a local perspective," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1693-1712, June.
- Jonathan K. Kramer & Geraldo M. Vasconcellos, 1996. "The economic effect of strikes on the shareholders of nonstruck competitors," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(2), pages 213-222, January.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987.
" A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987. "A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information," Working papers 1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 2007. "Disagreement, tastes, and asset prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 667-689, March.
- Hallock, Kevin F, 1998. "Layoffs, Top Executive Pay, and Firm Performance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(4), pages 711-23, September.
- Bialkowski, Jedrzej & Gottschalk, Katrin & Wisniewski, Tomasz, 2006.
"Stock market volatiltity around national elections,"
302, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2006.
- Heinkel, Robert & Kraus, Alan & Zechner, Josef, 2001. "The Effect of Green Investment on Corporate Behavior," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(04), pages 431-449, December.
- Hirsch, Barry T, 1991. "Union Coverage and Profitability among U.S. Firms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 69-77, February.
- Obeua S. Persons, 1995. "The effects of automobile strikes on the stock value of steel suppliers," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 49(1), pages 78-87, October.
- repec:att:wimass:9220 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Foerster, Stephen R., 1994. "Finite sample properties of the generalized method of moments in tests of conditional asset pricing models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 29-55, August.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Black, Fischer, 1972. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Restricted Borrowing," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(3), pages 444-55, July.
- Clare, A. D. & Smith, P. N. & Thomas, S. H., 1997. "UK stock returns and robust tests of mean variance efficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 641-660, May.
- Bali, Turan G. & Demirtas, K. Ozgur & Levy, Haim, 2008. "Nonlinear mean reversion in stock prices," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 767-782, May.
- Alexander Kempf & Peer Osthoff, 2007. "The Effect of Socially Responsible Investing on Portfolio Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(5), pages 908-922.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Bauer, Rob & Koedijk, Kees & Otten, Roger, 2005. "International evidence on ethical mutual fund performance and investment style," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1751-1767, July.
- Feldstein, Martin & Seligman, Stephanie, 1981.
"Pension Funding, Share Prices, and National Savings,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 801-24, September.
- Martin Feldstein & Stephanie Seligman, 1981. "Pension Funding, Share Prices, and National Saving," NBER Working Papers 0509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bert Scholtens & Yangqin Zhou, 2008. "Stakeholder relations and financial performance," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 213-232.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Chua, Choong Tze & Lai, Sandy & Wu, Yangru, 2008. "Effective fair pricing of international mutual funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2307-2324, November.
- Renneboog, Luc & Ter Horst, Jenke & Zhang, Chendi, 2008. "Socially responsible investments: Institutional aspects, performance, and investor behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1723-1742, September.
- El Ghoul, Sadok & Guedhami, Omrane & Kwok, Chuck C.Y. & Mishra, Dev R., 2011. "Does corporate social responsibility affect the cost of capital?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2388-2406, September.
- Ito, Yutaka & Managi, Shunsuke & Matsuda, Akimi, 2012.
"Performances of Socially Responsible Investment and Environmentally Friendly Funds,"
40654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Y Ito & S Managi & A Matsuda, 2013. "Performances of socially responsible investment and environmentally friendly funds," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 64(11), pages 1583-1594, November.
- Goss, Allen & Roberts, Gordon S., 2011. "The impact of corporate social responsibility on the cost of bank loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1794-1810, July.
- Miwa Nakai & Tomonori Honda & Nariaki Nishino & Kenji Takeuchi, 2013. "An Experimental Study on Motivations for Socially Responsible Investment," Discussion Papers 1314, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Manescu, Cristiana, 2009.
"Stock returns in relation to environmental, social and governance performance: mispricing or compensation for risk?,"
Working Papers in Economics
376, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics, revised 01 Mar 2010.
- Cristiana Mǎnescu, 2011. "Stock returns in relation to environmental, social and governance performance: Mispricing or compensation for risk?," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 95-118, March/Apr.
- Alexis Cellier & Pierre Chollet & Jean-François Gajewski, 2011. "Les annonces de notations extra financières véhiculent-elles une information au marché ?," Post-Print hal-00950507, HAL.
- Verwijmeren, Patrick & Derwall, Jeroen, 2010. "Employee well-being, firm leverage, and bankruptcy risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 956-964, May.
- Najah Attig & Narjess Boubakri & Sadok El Ghoul & Omrane Guedham, . "International Diversification and Corporate Social Responsibility," Finance Working Papers 12-11/2013, School of Business Administration, American University of Sharjah.
- Dorfleitner, Gregor & Utz, Sebastian, 2012.
"Safety first portfolio choice based on financial and sustainability returns,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 221(1), pages 155-164.
- Dorfleitner, Gregor & Utz, Sebastian, 2011. "Safety first portfolio choice based on financial and sustainability returns," University of Regensburg Working Papers in Business, Economics and Management Information Systems 452, University of Regensburg, Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Bianchi & Michael E. Drew & Adam N. Walk, 2010. "On the responsible investment disclosure practices of the world's largest pension funds," Accounting Research Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(3), pages 302 - 318, November.
- Shunsuke Managi & Tatsuyoshi Okimoto & Akimi Matsuda, 2012.
"Do socially responsible investment indexes outperform conventional indexes?,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(18), pages 1511-1527, September.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi & Matsuda, Akimi, 2012. "Do Socially Responsible Investment Indexes Outperform Conventional Indexes?," MPRA Paper 36662, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rekker, Saphira A.C. & Benson, Karen L. & Faff, Robert W., 2014. "Corporate social responsibility and CEO compensation revisited: Do disaggregation, market stress, gender matter?," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 84-103.
- Jiao, Yawen, 2010. "Stakeholder welfare and firm value," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2549-2561, October.
- Derigs, Ulrich & Marzban, Shehab, 2009. "New strategies and a new paradigm for Shariah-compliant portfolio optimization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1166-1176, June.
- Bert Scholtens, 2010. "The Environmental Performance of Dutch Government Bond Funds," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(1), pages 117-130, April.
- Francisco Climent & Pilar Soriano, 2011. "Green and Good? The Investment Performance of US Environmental Mutual Funds," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 103(2), pages 275-287, October.
- Alexis Cellier & Pierre Chollet & Jean-François Gajewski, 2011. "Les annonces de notations extrafinancières véhiculent-elles une information au marché?," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 14(3), pages 5-38, September.
- Kim, Moshe & Surroca, Jordi & Tribó, Josep A., 2014. "Impact of ethical behavior on syndicated loan rates," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 122-144.
- Patricia Crifo & Vanina Forget & Sabrina Teyssier, 2012. "The price of unsustainability: An experiment with professional private equity investors," Working Papers hal-00757203, HAL.
- Riikka Sievänen & John Sumelius & K. Islam & Mila Sell, 2013. "From struggle in responsible investment to potential to improve global environmental governance through UN PRI," International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 197-217, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.