Union Coverage and Profitability among U.S. Firms
AbstractThis paper utilizes unique survey data on labor union coverage at the firm level to examine union effects on the profitability of 705 U.S. companies during the 1970s. Market value and earnings are estimated to be about 10 percent-15 percent lower in an average unionized company than in a nonunion company, following extensive control for firm and industry characteristics. Deleterious union effects on firm profitability are sizable throughout the 1972-80 period, but vary considerably across industries. The relatively poor profit performance of unionized companies may help explain the recent decline in U.S. union membership. Copyright 1991 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 73 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Galema, Rients & Plantinga, Auke & Scholtens, Bert, 2008. "The stocks at stake: Return and risk in socially responsible investment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2646-2654, December.
- Franck, Tom & Huyghebaert, Nancy, 2006. "Non-financial stakeholder relationship costs as determinant of capital structure: Empirical evidence from first-time business start-ups," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/230209, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- G. Cardullo & M. Conti & G. Sulis, 2012. "Sunk Capital, Unions and the Hold-Up Problem: Theory and Evidence from Sectoral Data," Working Paper CRENoS 201226, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Park, Timothy A., 2008.
"Evaluating Labor Productivity in Food Retailing,"
Agricultural and Resource Economics Review,
Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 37(2), October.
- Park, Timothy A., 2007. "Evaluating Labor Productivity in Food Retailing," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9939, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Patrice Laroche & Hristos Doucouliagos, 2009. "Unions and Profits: A meta-regression Analysis," Post-Print hal-00648569, HAL.
- Hirsch, Barry T., 2007.
"Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2930, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2008. "Sluggish Institutions in a Dynamic World: Can Unions and Industrial Competition Coexist?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 153-176, Winter.
- Franck, Tom & Huyghebaert, Nancy, 2006. "Non-financial stakeholder relationship costs as determinant of capital structure: Empirical evidence from first-time business start-ups," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/385790, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Franck, Tom & Huyghebaert, Nancy, 2006. "Non financial stakeholder relationship costs as determinant of capital structure: evidence from business Start-Ups," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/385730, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Shameek Konar & Mark A. Cohen, 2001. "Does The Market Value Environmental Performance?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 281-289, May.
- Anginer, Deniz & Warburton, A. Joseph, 2010. "The Chrysler effect : the impact of the Chrysler bailout on borrowing costs," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5462, The World Bank.
- Ilias Kapareliotis & Anastassios Panopoulos, 2010. "The determinants of brand equity: The case of Greek quoted firms," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 225-233, March.
- Chris Doucouliagos & Patrice Laroche, 2007. "Unions and Profitability: A Meta-Analysis," Economics Series 2007_01, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.