Measuring operational efficiency of mobile operators in Japan and Korea
AbstractThe paper analyzes operational efficiency of six major mobile operators in Japan and Korea over the time period 2002-2006 and the impact of possible influential factors on the efficiency. The empirical results reveal that overall Japanese mobile operators are more efficient than Korean mobile operators and that the operators with significant revenues do not necessarily achieve operational efficiency. Korean operators are almost situated in increasing returns to scale, whereas Japanese operators are in decreasing returns to scale except Softbank Mobile. Finally, geographical area, service quality, degree of competition, 3G network type, ratio of data service revenues, and ratio of 3G subscribers all have significant effects on the efficiency of operators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Japan and the World Economy.
Volume (Year): 23 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505557
Operational efficiency Returns to scale Mobile operators DEA Tobit;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Sumit K. Majumdar & Hsi-Hui Chang, 1998. "Optimal Local Exchange Carrier Size," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(6), pages 637-649, December.
- Lien, Donald & Peng, Yan, 2001. "Competition and production efficiency: Telecommunications in OECD countries," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 51-76, March.
- Rushdi, Ali Ahmed, 2000. "Total factor productivity measures for Telstra," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 143-154, March.
- Pentzaropoulos, G. C. & Giokas, D. I., 2002. "Comparing the operational efficiency of the main European telecommunications organizations: A quantitative analysis," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 595-606, December.
- Majumdar, Sumit K., 1995. "X-efficiency in emerging competitive markets: The case of U.S. telecommunications," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 129-144, January.
- Madden, Gary & Savage, Scott J., 1999.
"Telecommunications productivity, catch-up and innovation,"
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 65-81, February.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J, 1999. "Telecommunications productivity, catch-up and innovation," MPRA Paper 11448, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tsai, Hsiang-Chih & Chen, Chun-Mei & Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung, 2006. "The comparative productivity efficiency for global telecoms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 509-526, October.
- Lam, Pun-Lee & Lam, Teresa, 2005. "Total factor productivity measures for Hong Kong telephone," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Kim, Moon-Koo & Park, Myeong-Cheol & Jeong, Dong-Heon, 2004. "The effects of customer satisfaction and switching barrier on customer loyalty in Korean mobile telecommunication services," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 145-159, March.
- Uri, Noel D., 2000. "Measuring productivity change in telecommunications," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 439-452, June.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 1998. "Privatization of nippon telegraph and telephone: Was it a good policy decision?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 45-61, May.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Wilson, Paul W, 1993. "Detecting Outliers in Deterministic Nonparametric Frontier Models with Multiple Outputs," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 319-23, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.