Comparing the operational efficiency of the main European telecommunications organizations: A quantitative analysis
AbstractThere are today many operators competing within the European telecommunications market. For these operators, efficiency should be considered as a key element for achieving greater revenue and enhancing market position. In this paper, comparison is made of the main European public telecommunications organizations (PTOs) in terms of their operational efficiency using data envelopment analysis, a well-known quantitative technique from operational research. The analysis is based on data provided in the edition (Communications Outlook, 1999, OECD Publication Service, Paris). The main conclusion is that full operational efficiency can equally be achieved by PTOs with large revenues as well as by others with medium and smaller revenues. Also notable is the presence of certain PTOs with full efficiency ratings which are considered here as models or benchmarks for the less efficient organizations. Finally, some implications of the findings for telecommunications management are examined at the end of this paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Telecommunications Policy.
Volume (Year): 26 (2002)
Issue (Month): 11 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tsai, Hsiang-Chih & Chen, Chun-Mei & Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung, 2006. "The comparative productivity efficiency for global telecoms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 509-526, October.
- Liao, Chun-Hsiung & Lin, Hsing-Yung, 2011. "Measuring operational efficiency of mobile operators in Japan and Korea," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 48-57, January.
- Lourdes Torres & Patricia Bachiller, 2013. "Efficiency of telecommunications companies in European countries," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 863-886, November.
- Dong-hyun Oh & Hans Loof & Almas Heshmati, 2009.
"The Icelandic Economy: A Victim of the Financial Crisis or Simply Inefficient?,"
TEMEP Discussion Papers
200916, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Sep 2009.
- Oh, Dong-Hyun & Lööf, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2009. "The Icelandic Economy: a victim of the financial crisis or simply inefficient?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 199, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Djily Diagne, 2006. "Mesure de l'efficience technique dans le secteur de l'éducation: une application de la méthode DEA," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 142(II), pages 231-262, June.
- Michel Berne & Gérard Pogorel, 2004. "Privatization Experiences in France," CESifo Working Paper Series 1195, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ho, Dong-huyn & Lööf, Hans, 2009. "Creating Innovations, Productivity and Growth - the efficiency of Icelandic firms," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 162, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.