Perceptions of organizational culture, leadership effectiveness and personal effectiveness across six countries
AbstractPerceptions of which facets of organizational culture are related to leadership and personal effectiveness were examined using archival data from Canada, Hong Kong, New Zealand, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Organizational culture was strongly perceived as being related to both leadership effectiveness (explaining 40% of the variance) and personal effectiveness (24% of the variance). Aspects of organizational culture that promote employee fulfillment and satisfaction were uniformly viewed as positively related to leadership and personal effectiveness. The perceived relationship across samples was stronger between organizational culture and leadership effectiveness than between organizational culture and personal effectiveness. The implications of these findings for managers are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Management.
Volume (Year): 13 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MacKenzie, Scott B. & Podsakoff, Philip M. & Fetter, Richard, 1991. "Organizational citizenship behavior and objective productivity as determinants of managerial evaluations of salespersons' performance," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 123-150, October.
- Ensari, Nurcan & Murphy, Susan Elaine, 2003. "Cross-cultural variations in leadership perceptions and attribution of charisma to the leader," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 92(1-2), pages 52-66.
- Carl F. Fey & Daniel R. Denison, 2003. "Organizational Culture And Effectiveness: Can American Theory Be Applied In Russia?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-598, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Engelen, Andreas & Brettel, Malte & Wiest, Gregor, 2012. "Cross-functional Integration and New Product Performance — The Impact of National and Corporate Culture," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 52-65.
- Engelen, Andreas, 2010. "Entrepreneurial orientation as a function of national cultural variations in two countries," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 354-368, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.