Efficiency evaluation of the Portuguese pension funds management companies
AbstractThis paper ranks the pension funds management companies according to their change in total productivity for the period 1994-2007. We estimate the change in total productivity, breaking this down into technically efficient change and technological change by means of data envelopment analysis (DEA-Malmquist index). The aim of this procedure is to seek out those best practices that will lead to improved performance in the market. The implications arising from the study are considered in terms of managerial policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 20 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
Pension funds management companies DEA-Malmquist index;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Maria Teresa Medeiros Garcia, 2007. "Analysing the Performance of the Pension Fund Industry with a Stochastic Frontier Model: A Case Study for Portugal," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(2), pages 190-210, April.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1998. "The Institutions of Governance," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 75-79, May.
- Coggin, T Daniel & Fabozzi, Frank J & Rahman, Shafiqur, 1993. " The Investment Performance of U.S. Equity Pension Fund Managers: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 1039-55, July.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Carlos Manuel Pereira da Silva & Joao Paulo Tome Calado & Maria Teresa Medeiros Garcia, 2004.
"The Financial Sustainability of the Portuguese Social Security System,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance,
The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 417-439, 07.
- Carlos Manuel Pereira da Silva & Jo�o Paulo Tom� Calado & Maria Teresa Medeiros Garcia, 2004. "The Financial Sustainability of the Portuguese Social Security System," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(3), pages 417-439, July.
- Fabozzi, Frank J. & Focardi, Sergio M. & Jonas, Caroline L., 2005. "Market experience with modeling for defined-benefit pension funds: evidence from four countries," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 313-327, November.
- Plantinga, Auke, 2006. "Performance measurement for pension funds," Research Report 06E10, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Chu, Sing Fat & Lim, Guan Hua, 1998. "Share performance and profit efficiency of banks in an oligopolistic market: evidence from Singapore," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 155-168, September.
- Babalos, Vassilios & Philippas, Nikolaos & Doumpos, Michael & Zompounidis, Constantin, 2011. "Mutual funds performance appraisal using stochastic multicriteria acceptability analysis," MPRA Paper 37953, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Babalos, Vassilios & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Philippas, Nikolaos, 2012.
"Efficiency evaluation of Greek equity funds,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 317-333.
- Mohammad Reza TAVAKOLI BAGHDADABAD & Afsaneh NOORI HOUSHYAR, 2014. "Productivity and Efficiency Evaluation of US Mutual Funds," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 64(2), pages 120-143, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.