Explaining the European exchange rates deviations: Long memory or non-linear adjustment?
AbstractThe standard macroeconomic view links the equilibrium level of foreign exchange rates to the state of the macroeconomic fundamentals. Any deviation from the equilibrium level is viewed as temporary since there are forces ensuring quickly mean-reverting dynamics. The aim of this article is to investigate whether the empirical observation of the real exchange rate misalignments in five European countries over the period 1979-1999 was consistent with the hypothesis of temporary deviations from the fundamentals, or whether they must be associated with significant persistent dynamics. We depart from the traditional framework of linear cointegration by using fractional cointegration or non-linear cointegration. Therefore, we will try to discriminate between linear long memory dynamics and non-linear short memory dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 18 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- E. Dubois & S. Lardic & V. Mignon, 2003.
"The exact maximum likelihood-based test for fractional cointegration: critical values, power and size,"
THEMA Working Papers
2003-26, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Emmanuel Dubois & Sandrine Lardic & Valérie Mignon, 2004. "The Exact Maximum Likelihood-Based Test for Fractional Cointegration: Critical Values, Power and Size," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 24(3), pages 239-255, July.
- Peter B. Clark & Ronald MacDonald, 2000.
"Filtering the BEER - A Permanent and Transitory Decomposition,"
IMF Working Papers
00/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Clark, Peter B. & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004. "Filtering the BEER: A permanent and transitory decomposition," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-56.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, .
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_124, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Andrew W. Lo, 1989.
"Long-term Memory in Stock Market Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
2984, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gilles Dufrenot & Laurent Mathieu & Valerie Mignon & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2006.
"Persistent misalignments of the European exchange rates: some evidence from non-linear cointegration,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 203-229.
- G. Dufrenot & L. Mathieu & V. Mignon, & A. Peguin-Feissolle, 2002. "Persistent misalignments of the European exchange rates : some evidence from nonlinear cointegration," THEMA Working Papers 2002-29, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Gilles DUFRENOT & Laurent MATHIEU & Val=E9rie MIGNON & Anne PEGUIN-FEISSOLE, 2003. "Persistent misalignments of the European exchanges rates: some evidence from nonlinear cointegration," International Finance 0309003, EconWPA.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Oscar Jorda & Alvaro Escribano, 2003.
"Improved Testing And Specification Of Smooth Transition Regression Models,"
9726, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Alvaro Escribano & Oscar Jorda, . "Improved Testing And Specification Of Smooth Transition Regression Models," Department of Economics 97-26, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Atsushi Inoue, 2000.
"Long Memory and Regime Switching,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sowell, Fallaw, 1992. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stationary univariate fractionally integrated time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 165-188.
- KIRMAN, Alan & TEYSSIÈRE, Gilles, 2002. "Bubbles and long-range dependence in asset prices volatilities," CORE Discussion Papers 2002060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aloy, Marcel & Boutahar, Mohamed & Gente, Karine & Péguin-Feissolle, Anne, 2011.
"Purchasing power parity and the long memory properties of real exchange rates: Does one size fit all?,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 1279-1290, May.
- Marcel Aloy & Mohamed Boutahar & Karine Gente & Anne Peguin-Feissolle, 2011. "Purchasing power parity and the long memory properties of real exchange rates: does one size fit all?," Working Papers halshs-00559170, HAL.
- Sophie Béreau & Antonia Lopez Villavicencio & Valérie Mignon, 2008.
"Nonlinear Adjustment of the Real Exchange Rate Towards its Equilibrium Value: a Panel Smooth Transition Error Correction Modelling,"
2008-23, CEPII research center.
- Béreau, Sophie & Villavicencio, Antonia López & Mignon, Valérie, 2010. "Nonlinear adjustment of the real exchange rate towards its equilibrium value: A panel smooth transition error correction modelling," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 404-416, January.
- Marçal, Emerson Fernandes, 2013. "Exchange rate misalignments, interdependence, crises, and currency wars: an empirical assessment," Textos para discussÃ£o 348, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- López Villavicencio, Antonia, 2008. "Nonlinearities or outliers in real exchange rates?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 714-730, July.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2013.
"Long Memory and Fractional Integration in High Frequency Data on the US Dollar / British Pound Spot Exchange Rate,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1294, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Luis A. Gil-Alana, 2013. "Long Memory and Fractional Integration in High Frequency Data on the US Dollar / British Pound Spot Exchange Rate," CESifo Working Paper Series 4224, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mohamed Boutahar & Gilles Dufrénot & Anne Péguin-Feissolle, 2008. "A Simple Fractionally Integrated Model with a Time-varying Long Memory Parameter d t ," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 31(3), pages 225-241, April.
- Antonia López-Villavicencio & Valérie Mignon, 2009. "On Equilibrium Exchange Rates: Is Emerging Asia Different?," Working Papers 2009-38, CEPII research center.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.