Technological innovation in the airline industry: The impact of regional jets
AbstractThis paper explores the impact of the regional jet (RJ), an important new technological innovation in the airline industry, on service patterns and service quality. The paper's theoretical analysis predicts that the frequency advantage of RJs over jets, a consequence of their small size, should have led to the emergence of point-to-point (PP) service in thin markets where such service was previously uneconomical. However, the evidence contradicts this prediction, showing that markets attracting new PP service by RJs had demographic characteristics similar to those of markets that already had jet PP service or attracted it after 1996. Additional descriptive evidence shows that RJs were used to provide service on a large number of new hub-and-spoke (HS) routes, and that they replaced discontinued jet and turboprop service on many such routes, as well as supplementing continuing jet service. When replacement or supplementation by RJs occurred, passengers benefited from better service quality via higher flight frequencies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 27 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551
Regional jets Airlines;
Other versions of this item:
- Jan K. Brueckner & Vivek Pai, 2007. "Technological Innovation in the Airline Industry: The Impact of Regional Jets," Working Papers 060720, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- L93 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Air Transportation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dresner, Martin & Windle, Robert & Zhou, Ming, 2002. "Regional jet services: supply and demand," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 267-273.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2004.
"Network Structure and Airline Scheduling,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 291-312, 06.
- Babikian, Raffi & Lukachko, Stephen P. & Waitz, Ian A., 2002. "The historical fuel efficiency characteristics of regional aircraft from technological, operational, and cost perspectives," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 389-400.
- Berry, Steven & Reiss, Peter, 2007. "Empirical Models of Entry and Market Structure," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Curtis Eaton, B. & Lipsey, Richard G., 1989. "Product differentiation," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 723-768 Elsevier.
- Fukui, Hideki, 2012. "Do carriers abuse the slot system to inhibit airport capacity usage? Evidence from the US experience," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 1-6.
- Martini, Gianmaria & Manello, Alessandro & Scotti, Davide, 2013. "The influence of fleet mix, ownership and LCCs on airports’ technical/environmental efficiency," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 37-52.
- Martini, Gianmaria & Scotti, Davide, 2010.
"Potere di mercato e distribuzione dei profitti nella filiera del trasporto aereo
[Market power and profits distribution in the air transportation vertical channel]," MPRA Paper 24647, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gianmaria Martini & Davide Scotti, 2009. "Potere di mercato e distribuzione dei profitti nella filiera del trasporto aereo," Working Papers 0906, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- Cohen, Maurie J., 2010. "Destination unknown: Pursuing sustainable mobility in the face of rival societal aspirations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 459-470, May.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2012. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 702-714.
- Vivek Pai, 2007. "On the Factors that Affect Airline Flight Frequency and Aircraft Size," Working Papers 070803, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Chen, Yongmin & Gayle, Philip, 2013. "Mergers and Product Quality: Evidence from the Airline Industry," MPRA Paper 51238, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2012. "On the optimal distribution of traffic of network airlines," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1164-1179.
- Pai, Vivek, 2010. "On the factors that affect airline flight frequency and aircraft size," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 169-177.
- Joan Calzada & Xavier Fageda, 2012. "Discounts and Public Service Obligations in the Airline Market: Lessons from Spain," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 291-312, June.
- Fageda, Xavier, 1975- & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010. "Technology, business models and network structure in the airline industry," Working Papers 2072/151552, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2011. "Air services on thin routes: Regional versus low-cost airlines," Working Papers 2072/179624, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.