Empirical Models of Entry and Market Structure
AbstractThis chapter surveys empirical models of market structure. We pay particular attention to equilibrium models that interpret cross-sectional variation in the number of firms or firm turnover rates. We begin by discussing what economists can in principle learn from models with homogeneous potential entrants. We then turn to models with heterogeneous firms. In the process, we review applications that analyze market structure in airline, retail, professional, auction, lodging, and broadcasting markets. We conclude with a summary of more recent models that incorporate incomplete information, "set identified" parameters, and dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Industrial Organization with number 3-29.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L0 - Industrial Organization - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009.
"Entry, Exit, and the Determinants of Market Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
15313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "Entry, exit and the determinants of market structure," Working Paper 0907, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn Klimek & Mark Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "Entry, Exit, and the Determinants of Market Structure," Working Papers 09-23, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Yasuhiro Sato & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Kazuhiro Yamamoto, 2012.
"Market size and entrepreneurship,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 12(6), pages 1139-1166, November.
- Yasuhiro Sato & Takatoshi Tabuchi & Kazuhiro Yamamoto, 2009. "Market Size and Entrepreneurship," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-07, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- SATO Yasuhiro & TABUCHI Takatoshi & YAMAMOTO Kazuhiro, 2012. "Market Size and Entrepreneurship," Discussion papers 12002, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Jan K. Brueckner & Vivek Pai, 2007.
"Technological Innovation in the Airline Industry: The Impact of Regional Jets,"
060720, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Pai, Vivek, 2009. "Technological innovation in the airline industry: The impact of regional jets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 110-120, January.
- Kaplow, Louis & Shapiro, Carl, 2007.
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt9pt7p9bm, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Kessides, Ioannis N. & Tang, Li, 2011.
"Sunk costs, market contestability, and the size distribution of firms,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5540, The World Bank.
- Ioannis Kessides & Li Tang, 2010. "Sunk Costs, Market Contestability, and the Size Distribution of Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 215-236, November.
- Aradillas-Lopez, Andres, 2012. "Pairwise-difference estimation of incomplete information games," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(1), pages 120-140.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark Roberts & Shawn Klimek & Yi Xu, 2007.
"The Dynamics of Market Structure and Market Size in Two Health Services Industries,"
07-26, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2009. "The Dynamics of Market Structure and Market Size in Two Health Service Industries," NBER Chapters, in: Producer Dynamics: New Evidence from Micro Data, pages 303-327 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Dunne & Shawn D. Klimek & Mark J. Roberts & Yi Xu, 2007. "The dynamics of market structure and market size in two health services industries," Working Paper 0712, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Toivanen, Otto & Waterson, Michael, 2011. "Retail Chain Expansion: The Early Years of McDonalds in Great Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 8534, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heger, Diana & Kraft, Kornelius, 2008. "Barriers to Entry and Profitability," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-071, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Michaela Draganska & Sanjog Misra & Victor Aguirregabiria & Pat Bajari & Liran Einav & Paul Ellickson & Dan Horsky & Sridhar Narayanan & Yesim Orhun & Peter Reiss & Katja Seim & Vishal Singh & Raphael, 2008. "Discrete choice models of firms’ strategic decisions," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 399-416, December.
- Katherine Ho & Matthew Neidell, 2009. "Equilibrium effects of public goods: The impact of community water fluoridation on dentists," NBER Working Papers 15056, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kline, Brendan & Tamer, Elie, 2012. "Bounds for best response functions in binary games," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 92-105.
- Wahal, Sunil & Wang, Albert (Yan), 2011. "Competition among mutual funds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 40-59, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.