Favoritism in asymmetric procurement auctions
AbstractI examine the costs and benefits of granting a right of first refusal (ROFR) to one bidder in a first-price procurement auction with two bidders. This right permits the favored bidder to win a contract by matching the bid of the competing bidder and is often observed in procurement auctions. I show that the auctioneer prefers to grant the ROFR to the ex-ante weak bidder and that granting this right can increase the auctioneer's expected payoff. The results continue to hold even when the auctioneer can set an optimal reserve price. Both the reserve price and the right of first refusal serve to elicit more aggressive bids and hence, to a certain degree, are substitute tools.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Industrial Organization.
Volume (Year): 26 (2008)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551
Auctions Favoritism Right of first refusal;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Compte, Olivier & Lambert-Mogiliansky, Ariane & Verdier, Thierry, 2000.
"Corruption And Competition In Public Market Auctions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2434, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Compte, O. & Lambert-Mogiliansky, A. & Verdier, T., 2000. "Corruption and Competition in Public Market Auctions," DELTA Working Papers 2000-01, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Philip J. Reny & Shmuel Zamir, 2004.
"On the Existence of Pure Strategy Monotone Equilibria in Asymmetric First-Price Auctions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1105-1125, 07.
- Philip J. Reny & Shmuel Zamir, 2002. "On the Existence of Pure Strategy Monotone Equilibria in Asymmetric First-Price Auctions," Discussion Paper Series dp292, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Roberto Burguet & Martin K. Perry, 2003. "Preferred Suppliers and Vertical Integration in Auction Market," Working Papers 74, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Maskin, Eric & Riley, John, 2000. "Asymmetric Auctions," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 67(3), pages 413-38, July.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Huang, Ming & Klemperer, Paul, 1996.
"Toeholds and Takeovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lebrun, Bernard, 1999. "First Price Auctions in the Asymmetric N Bidder Case," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 125-42, February.
- Bikhchandani Sushil & Lippman Steven A. & Ryan Reade, 2005. "On the Right-of-First-Refusal," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-44, April.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2000-72 is not listed on IDEAS
- Michael H. Rothkopf & Ronald M. Harstad & Yuhong Fu, 2003. "Is Subsidizing Inefficient Bidders Actually Costly?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(1), pages 71-84, January.
- Marshall Robert C. & Meurer Michael J. & Richard Jean-Francois & Stromquist Walter, 1994. "Numerical Analysis of Asymmetric First Price Auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 193-220, September.
- Cabral, Luís & Vasconcelos, Hélder, 2011. "Vertical integration and right of first refusal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 50-53, October.
- Federico Weinschelbaum & Leandro Arozamena, 2005.
"The Effect of Corruption on Bidding Behavior in First-Price Auctions,"
82, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Aug 2005.
- Arozamena, Leandro & Weinschelbaum, Federico, 2009. "The effect of corruption on bidding behavior in first-price auctions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 645-657, August.
- Federico Weinschelbaum & Leandro Arozamena, 2004. "The Effect of Corruption on Bidding Behavior in First-Price Auctions," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 180, Econometric Society.
- Leandro Arozamena & Federico Weinschelbaum, 2010.
"On Favoritism in Auctions with Entry,"
103, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised May 2010.
- Domenico Colucci & Nicola Doni & Vincenzo Valori, 2012.
"Preferential treatment in procurement auctions through information revelation,"
DiMaD Working Papers
2012-06, Dipartimento di Matematica per le Decisioni, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze.
- Colucci, Domenico & Doni, Nicola & Valori, Vincenzo, 2012. "Preferential treatment in procurement auctions through information revelation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 883-886.
- Klenio Barbosa & Pierre C. Boyer, 2012. "Discrimination in Dynamic Procurement Design with Learning-by-doing," CESifo Working Paper Series 3947, CESifo Group Munich.
- Martin Gonzalez-Rozada & Martin sola & Constantino Hevia & Fabio Spagnolo, 2012. "Estimating and Forecasting the Yield Curve Using a Markov Switching Dynamic Nelson and Siegel Model," Department of Economics Working Papers 2012-07, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Thomas, Charles J., 2011. "Vertical mergers in procurement markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 200-209, March.
- Li, Sherry Xin & Dogan, Kutsal & Haruvy, Ernan, 2011. "Group identity in markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 104-115, January.
- Karine Brisset & François Cochard & François Maréchal, 2012. "The Value of a Right of First Refusal Clause in a Procurement First-Price Auction," Working Papers 2012-03, CRESE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.