External uncertainty and entry mode choice: Cultural distance, political risk and language diversity
AbstractThis paper aims at analyzing the effect of external uncertainty on the entry mode choice when investing abroad. We consider the effect of uncertainty coming from the formal host country's environment (political risk) and from the informal one (cultural distance). The potential existence of an interaction effect between both of them is also analyzed. In particular, we analyze how language diversity between the home and host countries may condition the influence of this interaction effect on the entry mode choice. In order to empirically test our predictions, a database of foreign direct investments made by Spanish firms is used.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashish Arora & Andrea Fosfuri, 2000. "Wholly Owned Subsidiary Versus Technology Licensing in the Worldwide Chemical Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(4), pages 555-572, December.
- Quer, Diego & Claver, Enrique & Andreu, Rosario, 2007. "Foreign market entry mode in the hotel industry: The impact of country- and firm-specific factors," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 362-376, June.
- Keith D Brouthers, 2002. "Institutional, Cultural and Transaction Cost Influences on Entry Mode Choice and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 203-221, June.
- Marschan-Piekkari, Rebecca & Welch, Denice & Welch, Lawrence, 1999. "In the shadow: the impact of language on structure, power and communication in the multinational," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 421-440, August.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
- Marschan, Rebecca & Welch, Denice & Welch, Lawrence, 1997. "Language: The forgotten factor in multinational management," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 591-598, October.
- Youngok Kim & Sidney Gray, 2009. "An assessment of alternative empirical measures of cultural distance: Evidence from the Republic of Korea," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 55-74, March.
- Henisz, Witold J, 2000. "The Institutional Environment for Multinational Investment," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 334-64, October.
- Meschi, Pierre-Xavier & Riccio, Edson Luiz, 2008. "Country risk, national cultural differences between partners and survival of international joint ventures in Brazil," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 250-266, June.
- Ruiz-Moreno, Felipe & Mas-Ruiz, Francisco J. & Nicolau-Gonzalbez, Juan L., 2007. "Two-stage choice process of FDI: Ownership structure and diversification mode," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(7), pages 795-805, July.
- Ekrem Tatoglu & Keith W. Glaister & Fuat Erdal, 2003. "Determinants of Foreign Ownership in Turkish Manufacturing," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(2), pages 5-41, March.
- Yadong Luo, 2001. "Determinants of Entry in an Emerging Economy: A Multilevel Approach," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 443-472, 05.
- Preet S Aulakh & Masaaki Kotabe, 1997. "Antecedents and Performance Implications of Channel Integration in Foreign Markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 145-175, March.
- Klaus E Meyer, 2001. "Institutions, Transaction Costs, and Entry Mode Choice in Eastern Europe," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(2), pages 357-367, June.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Tatoglu, Ekrem & Glaister, Keith W., 2009. "Equity-based entry modes of emerging country multinationals: Lessons from Turkey," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 445-462, October.
- Yadong Luo & Oded Shenkar, 2006. "The multinational corporation as a multilingual community: Language and organization in a global context," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 321-339, May.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Glaister, Keith W. & Tatoglu, Ekrem, 2007. "Institutional and transaction cost influences on MNEs' ownership strategies of their affiliates: Evidence from an emerging market," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 418-434, December.
- W Chan Kim & Peter Hwang, 1992. "Global Strategy and Multinationals' Entry Mode Choice," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(1), pages 29-53, March.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Chen, Haiyang & Hu, Michael Y., 2002. "An analysis of determinants of entry mode and its impact on performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 193-210, April.
- Stephen B Tallman & Oded Shenkar, 1994. "A Managerial Decision Model of International Cooperative Venture Formation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(1), pages 91-113, March.
- Lee, Joong-Woo & Abosag, Ibrahim & Kwak, Jooyoung, 2012. "The role of networking and commitment in foreign market entry process: Multinational corporations in the Chinese automobile industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 27-39.
- Lauring, Jakob & Selmer, Jan, 2012. "International language management and diversity climate in multicultural organizations," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 156-166.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.