Populists versus theorists: Futures markets and the volatility of prices
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Explorations in Economic History.
Volume (Year): 44 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622830
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Working, Holbrook, 1960. "Price Effects of Futures Trading," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 01, February.
- Edward W. Bemis, 1893. "The Discontent of the Farmer," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1, pages 193.
- Working, Holbrook, 1963. "Futures Markets Under Renewed Attack," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 01.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1979. "Futures markets, private storage, and price stabilization," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 301-327, December.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1983. "The Determination of Spot and Futures Prices with Storable Commodities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1363-87, September.
- Kawai, Masahiro, 1983. "Price Volatility of Storable Commodities under Rational Expectations in Spot and Futures Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(2), pages 435-59, June.
- Stein, Jerome L, 1992. "Cobwebs, Rational Expectations and Futures Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 127-34, February.
- Pashigian, B Peter, 1986. "The Political Economy of Futures Market Regulation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages S55-84, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Mayhew, Anne, 1972. "A Reappraisal of the Causes of Farm Protest in the United States, 1870–1900," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 464-475, June.
- Joseph Santos, 2002. "Did Futures Markets Stabilise US Grain Prices?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 25-36.
- Williams,Jeffrey C. & Wright,Brian D., 1991.
"Storage and Commodity Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521326162, November.
- Tomek, William G., 1971. "A Note on Historical Wheat Prices and Futures Trading," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 01.
- James Tobin, 1978.
"A Proposal for International Monetary Reform,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
506, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Massell, Benton F, 1970. "Some Welfare Implications of International Price Stabilization," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 404-17, March-Apr.
- de Vries,Jan & van der Woude,Ad, 1997. "The First Modern Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521578257, November.
- Taylor, Alonzo E., 1931. "Speculation, Short Selling, and the Price of Wheat," Wheat Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 04, February.
- Massell, Benton F, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-98, May.
- Pashigian, B Peter, 1988. "Why Have Some Farmers Opposed Futures Markets?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 371-82, April.
- Powers, Mark J, 1970. "Does Futures Trading Reduce Price Fluctuations in the Cash Markets?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 460-64, June.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Ronald I. McKinnon, 1967. "Futures Markets, Buffer Stocks, and Income Stability for Primary Producers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 844.
- Cinquegrana, Piero, 2008. "The Need for Transparency in Commodity and Commodity Derivatives Markets," ECMI Papers 1589, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- David Grreasley, 2010.
"Cliometrics and Time Series Econometrics: Some Theory and Applications,"
Working Papers in Economics
10/56, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- David Greasley & Les Oxley, 2010. "Cliometrics And Time Series Econometrics: Some Theory And Applications," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(5), pages 970-1042, December.
- Fattouh, Bassam & Kilian, Lutz & Mahadeva, Lavan, 2012. "The Role of Speculation in Oil Markets: What Have We Learned So Far?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James Angel & Douglas McCabe, 2009. "The Ethics of Speculation," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 277-286, December.
- Scott H. Irwin & Dwight R. Sanders, 2011. "Index Funds, Financialization, and Commodity Futures Markets," Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 1-31.
- World Bank, . "South Asia Economic Focus, June 2011 : Food Inflation," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12662, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.