Current snapshot of the Turkish ESCO market
AbstractTurkey's Energy Efficiency Law (EEL), enacted in 2007, had been expected to transform the energy policies in government and private sectors, and offer opportunities for, then-impending, Turkish Energy Service Company (ESCO) market. Yet, the communiqué of the EEL related to ESCOs was released only recently in July 2012. In this work, we review the current status of the ESCO market in Turkey. We provide an outlook through the recent legal communiqué and present barriers, enabling factors, and opportunities, supported by country's financial and economic facts. ESCO-financing mechanism prevailing and the sources of financing in the country are also mentioned. The communiqué on ESCOs fits well in the chain of regulatory attempts to increase Turkey's competitiveness in the global markets. However, we anticipate that some of its principles and procedures to be enforced may be deterrent for small-scale candidate ESCOs and may slow down the expected development of the Turkish ESCO market. Otherwise, the communiqué should lead restructuring of a stronger ESCO market in Turkey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 60 (2013)
Issue (Month): C ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Energy service companies; Energy-efficiency law; Turkey;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- AydIn, Levent & Acar, Mustafa, 2011. "Economic impact of oil price shocks on the Turkish economy in the coming decades: A dynamic CGE analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1722-1731, March.
- Larsen, Peter H. & Goldman, Charles A. & Satchwell, Andrew, 2012. "Evolution of the U.S. energy service company industry: Market size and project performance from 1990–2008," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 802-820.
- Baris, Kemal & Kucukali, Serhat, 2012. "Availibility of renewable energy sources in Turkey: Current situation, potential, government policies and the EU perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 377-391.
- Kostka, Genia & Shin, Kyoung, 2013. "Energy conservation through energy service companies: Empirical analysis from China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 748-759.
- Garbuzova, Maria & Madlener, Reinhard, 2012. "Russia’s Emerging ESCO Market: Prospects and Barriers for Energy Efficiency Investments," FCN Working Papers 6/2012, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN), revised Sep 2012.
- Bertoldi, Paolo & Rezessy, Silvia & Vine, Edward, 2006. "Energy service companies in European countries: Current status and a strategy to foster their development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(14), pages 1818-1832, September.
- Toklu, E. & Güney, M.S. & IsIk, M. & ComaklI, O. & Kaygusuz, K., 2010. "Energy production, consumption, policies and recent developments in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1172-1186, May.
- WenShwo Fang & Stephen M. Miller, 2012. "The effect of ESCOs on carbon dioxide emissions," Working papers 2012-14, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2010.
"Turkish support to Kyoto Protocol: A reality or just an illusion,"
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews,
Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 1111-1117, April.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2009. "Turkish support to Kyoto Protocol: A reality or just an illusion," MPRA Paper 19089, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ren, Hongbo & Zhou, Weisheng & Gao, Weijun & Wu, Qiong, 2011. "Promotion of energy conservation in developing countries through the combination of ESCO and CDM: A case study of introducing distributed energy resources into Chinese urban areas," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 8125-8136.
- Marino, Angelica & Bertoldi, Paolo & Rezessy, Silvia & Boza-Kiss, Benigna, 2011. "A snapshot of the European energy service market in 2010 and policy recommendations to foster a further market development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6190-6198, October.
- Jackson, Jerry, 2010. "Promoting energy efficiency investments with risk management decision tools," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 3865-3873, August.
- Fang, Wen Shwo & Miller, Stephen M. & Yeh, Chih-Chuan, 2012.
"The effect of ESCOs on energy use,"
Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 558-568.
- Okay, Esin & Okay, Nesrin & Konukman, Alp Er S. & Akman, Ugur, 2008. "Views on Turkey's impending ESCO market: Is it promising?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1821-1825, June.
- Ozyurt, O., 2010. "Energy issues and renewables for sustainable development in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 2976-2985, December.
- Okay, Nesrin & Akman, Ugur, 2009.
"Analysis of ESCO Activities Using Country Indicators,"
17012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Okay, Nesrin & Akman, Ugur, 2010. "Analysis of ESCO activities using country indicators," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(9), pages 2760-2771, December.
- Sarkar, Ashok & Singh, Jas, 2010. "Financing energy efficiency in developing countries--lessons learned and remaining challenges," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5560-5571, October.
- Duplessis, Bruno & Adnot, Jérôme & Dupont, Maxime & Racapé, François, 2012. "An empirical typology of energy services based on a well-developed market: France," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 268-276.
- Vine, Edward, 2005. "An international survey of the energy service company (ESCO) industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 691-704, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.