Efficiency and regulation of the Slovenian electricity distribution companies
AbstractEnergy demand, and in particular electricity demand in India has been growing at a very rapid rate over the last decade. Given, current trends in population growth, industrialisation, urbanisation, modernisation and income growth, electricity consumption is expected to increase substantially in the coming decades as well. Tariff reforms could play a potentially important role as a demand side management tool in India. However, the effects of any price revisions on consumption will depend on the price elasticity of demand for electricity. In the past, electricity demand studies for India published in international journals have been based on aggregate macro data at the country or sub-national/ state level. In this paper, price and income elasticities of electricity demand in the residential sector of all urban areas of India are estimated for the first time using disaggregate level survey data for over thirty thousand households. Three electricity demand functions have been estimated using monthly data for the following seasons: winter, monsoon and summer. The results show electricity demand is income and price inelastic in all three seasons, and that household, demographic and geographical variables are important in determining electricity demand, something that is not possible to determine using aggregate macro models alone.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Policy.
Volume (Year): 32 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/enpol
Other versions of this item:
- Massimo Filippini & Nevenka Hrovatin & Jelena Zoric, 2002. "Efficiency and Regulation of the Slovenian Electricity Distribution Companies," CEPE Working paper series 02-14, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
- Rossi, Martín, 2000.
"Technical Change and Efficiency Measures: The Post-privatisation in the Gas Distribution Sector in Argentina,"
UADE Working Papers
7_2000, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- Rossi, Martin A., 2001. "Technical change and efficiency measures: the post-privatisation in the gas distribution sector in Argentina," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 295-304, May.
- Walker, Cody D. & Lough, W. Timothy, 1997. "A critical review of deregulated foreign electric utility markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 877-886, August.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Battese, George E., 1996.
"Identification Of Factors Which Influence The Technical Inefficiency Of Indian Farmers,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(02), August.
- Tim J. Coelli & George E. Battese, 1996. "Identification Of Factors Which Influence The Technical Inefficiency Of Indian Farmers," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 40(2), pages 103-128, 08.
- Coelli, Tim J. & Battese, George E., 1994. "Identification of Factors which Influence the Technical Inefficiency of Indian Farmers," 1994 Conference (38th), February 8-10, 1994, Wellington, New Zealand 148110, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Massimo Filippini & Jörg Wild, 2000.
"Regional Differences in Electricity Distribution Costs and their Consequences for Yardstick Regulation of Access Prices,"
CEPE Working paper series
00-05, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Filippini, Massimo & Wild, Jorg, 2001. "Regional differences in electricity distribution costs and their consequences for yardstick regulation of access prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 477-488, July.
- Foreman-Peck, James & Waterson, Michael, 1985. "The Comparative Efficiency of Public and Private Enterprise in Britain: Electricity Generation between the World Wars," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 83-95, Supplemen.
- Massimo Filippini & Paola Prioni, 1994. "Is Scale and Cost Inefficiency in the Swiss Bus Industry a Regulatory Problem? Evidence from a Frontier Cost Approach," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 219-232.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Simar, L., 1991. "Estimating efficiencies from frontier models with panel data: a comparison of parametric, non-parametric and semi-parametric methods with boot strapping," CORE Discussion Papers 1991026, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Goto, Mika & Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 2009. "Productivity growth and deregulation of Japanese electricity distribution," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3130-3138, August.
- Kumbaroglu, Gürkan & Madlener, Reinhard & Demirel, Mustafa, 2008.
"A real options evaluation model for the diffusion prospects of new renewable power generation technologies,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1882-1908, July.
- Gürkan Kumbaroglu & Reinhard Madlener & Mustafa Demirel, 2004. "A Real Options Evaluation Model for the Diffusion Prospects of New Renewable Power Generation Technologies," CEPE Working paper series 04-35, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Silvia Banfi & Massimo Filippini & Andrea Horeh�jov�, 2012.
"Using a choice experiment to estimate the benefits of a reduction of externalities in urban areas with special focus on electrosmog,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 387-397, January.
- Silvia Banfi & Massimo Filippini & Andrea Horehájová, 2007. "Using a Choice Experiment to Estimate the Benefits of a Reduction of Externalities in Urban Areas with Special Focus on Electrosmog," CEPE Working paper series 07-58, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Fetz, Aurelio & Filippini, Massimo, 2010. "Economies of vertical integration in the Swiss electricity sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1325-1330, November.
- Reinhard Madlener & Stefan Vögtli, 2006. "Diffusion of bioenergy in urban areas: socio-economic analysis of the planned Swiss wood-fired cogeneration plant in Basel," CEPE Working paper series 06-53, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Huang, Yi-Ju & Chen, Ku-Hsieh & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2010. "Cost efficiency and optimal scale of electricity distribution firms in Taiwan: An application of metafrontier analysis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 15-23, January.
- Hess, Borge & Cullmann, Astrid, 2007. "Efficiency analysis of East and West German electricity distribution companies - Do the "Ossis" really beat the "Wessis"?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 206-214, September.
- Reinhard Madlener & Martin Koller, 2006.
"Economic and CO2 mitigation impacts of promoting biomass heating systems: an input-output study for Vorarlberg, Austria,"
CEPE Working paper series
06-50, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Madlener, Reinhard & Koller, Martin, 2007. "Economic and CO2 mitigation impacts of promoting biomass heating systems: An input-output study for Vorarlberg, Austria," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6021-6035, December.
- Kuosmanen, Timo, 2012. "Stochastic semi-nonparametric frontier estimation of electricity distribution networks: Application of the StoNED method in the Finnish regulatory model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 2189-2199.
- Reinhard Madlener & Carmenza Robledo & Bart Muys & Bo Hektor & Julije Domac, 2003. "A Sustainability Framework for Enhancing the Long-Term Success of LULUCF Projects," CEPE Working paper series 03-29, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Silvia Banfi & Massimo Filippini & Andrea Horehájová, 2007. "Hedonic Price Functions for Zurich and Lugano with Special Focus on Electrosmog," CEPE Working paper series 07-57, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Hrovatin, Nevenka & Pittman, Russell & Zoric, Jelena, 2009. "Organisation and reforms of the electricity sector in Slovenia," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 134-143, March.
- Goto, Mika & Tsutsui, Miki, 2008. "Technical efficiency and impacts of deregulation: An analysis of three functions in U.S. electric power utilities during the period from 1992 through 2000," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 15-38, January.
- Massimo Filippini & Nevenka Hrovatin & Jelena Zorić, 2008. "Cost efficiency of Slovenian water distribution utilities: an application of stochastic frontier methods," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 169-182, April.
- Carlos Pombo & Rodrigo Taborda, 2004.
"Perfomance and Efficiency in Colombia's Power Distribution Sistem: Effects of the 1994 Reform,"
BORRADORES DE INVESTIGACIÃN
006942, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Pombo, Carlos & Taborda, Rodrigo, 2006. "Performance and efficiency in Colombia's power distribution system: Effects of the 1994 reform," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 339-369, May.
- Fumitoshi Mizutani & Hideo Kozumi & Noriaki Matsushima, 2009. "Does yardstick regulation really work? Empirical evidence from Japan’s rail industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 308-323, December.
- Estache, Antonio & Perelman, Sergio & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2005. "Infrastructure performance and reform in developing and transition economies: evidence from a survey of productivity measures," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3514, The World Bank.
- Reinhard Madlener & Carlos Henggeler Antunes & Luis C. Dias, 2006. "Multi-Criteria versus Data Envelopment Analysis for Assessing the Performance of Biogas Plants," CEPE Working paper series 06-49, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Astrid Cullmann, 2012. "Benchmarking and firm heterogeneity: a latent class analysis for German electricity distribution companies," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 147-169, February.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Managi, Shunsuke, 2009. "Regulation, pollution and heterogeneity in Japanese steam power generation companies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3109-3114, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.