Technical Change and Efficiency Measures: The Post-privatisation in the Gas Distribution Sector in Argentina
AbstractIn this paper we use a stochastic frontier approach to analyse the technical change in the post-privatisation period in the gas distribution sector in Argentina. We found that there are both a catching up effect and a shift in the frontier that are showing that the sector as a whole improved its efficiency in the reviewed period. Moreover, this phenomenon holds not only for the average but also for every firm in the sample.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa in its series UADE Working Papers with number 7_2000.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.uade.edu.ar/paginas/InstEconomiaIDE.aspx
More information through EDIRC
stochastic frontier; post-privatisation; efficiency;
Other versions of this item:
- Rossi, Martin A., 2001. "Technical change and efficiency measures: the post-privatisation in the gas distribution sector in Argentina," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 295-304, May.
- L90 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - General
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burns, Philip & Weyman-Jones, Thomas G., 1998. "Is the gas supply market a natural monopoly? Econometric evidence from the British Gas regions," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 223-232, April.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Rodríguez Pardina, Martín & Rossi, Martín, 1999. "Efficiency Measures and Regulation: An Illustration of the Gas Distribution Sector in Argentina," UADE Working Papers 4_1999, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Christos Pantzios & Vangelis Tzouvelekas & Giannis Karagiannis, 2005.
"Parametric Decomposition of the Input-Oriented Malmquist Productivity Index: With an Application to Greek Aquaculture,"
0518, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Christos Pantzios & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2011. "Parametric decomposition of the input-oriented Malmquist productivity index: with an application to Greek aquaculture," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 21-31, August.
- Filippini, Massimo & Hrovatin, Nevenka & Zoric, Jelena, 2004.
"Efficiency and regulation of the Slovenian electricity distribution companies,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 335-344, February.
- Massimo Filippini & Nevenka Hrovatin & Jelena Zoric, 2002. "Efficiency and Regulation of the Slovenian Electricity Distribution Companies," CEPE Working paper series 02-14, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Jaffry, Shabbar & Ghulam, Yaseen & Pascoe, Sean & Cox, Joe, 2007.
"Regulatory changes and productivity of the banking sector in the Indian sub-continent,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 415-438, June.
- Shabbar Jaffry & Yaseen Ghulam & Sean Pascoe & Joe Cox, 2005. "Regulatory Changes and Productivity of the Banking Sector in the Indian Sub-Continent," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 1021-1047.
- Ronaldo Seroa da Motta & Ajax R.B. Moreira, 2004. "Efficiency and Regulation in the Sanitation Sector in Brazil," Discussion Papers 1059, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Antonio Estache & J.L. Guasch & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003.
"Price caps, efficiency pay-offs and infrastructure contract renegotiation in Latin America,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44100, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Guasch, Jose-Luis & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2003. "Price caps, efficiency payoffs, and infrastructure contract renegotiation in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3129, The World Bank.
- Ertürk, Mehmet & Türüt-AsIk, Serap, 2011. "Efficiency analysis of Turkish natural gas distribution companies by using data envelopment analysis method," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1426-1438, March.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2004.
"Cost Efficiency in the Swiss Gas Distribution Sector,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-36, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini, Massimo & Kuenzle, Michael, 2007. "Cost efficiency in the Swiss gas distribution sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 64-78, January.
- Ariel Casarin, 2014. "Productivity throughout regulatory cycles in gas utilities," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 115-137, April.
- Jorge Pinilla & Joaquim Vergés, 2007. "Efectos De La Privatización En La Eficiencia De Iberia Líneas Aéreas De España S.A," Revista Economía y Administración, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Administrativas, Universidad de Concepción, vol. 69, pages 7-38, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mariano E. Gonzalez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.