Technical change and efficiency measures: the post-privatisation in the gas distribution sector in Argentina
AbstractIn this paper we use a stochastic frontier approach to analyse the technical change in the post-privatisation period in the gas distribution sector in Argentina. We found that there are both a catching up effect and a shift in the frontier that are showing that the sector as a whole improved its efficiency in the reviewed period. Moreover, this phenomenon holds not only for the average but also for every firm in the sample.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eneco
Other versions of this item:
- Rossi, Martín, 2000. "Technical Change and Efficiency Measures: The Post-privatisation in the Gas Distribution Sector in Argentina," UADE Working Papers 7_2000, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- L90 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - General
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Rodríguez Pardina, Martín & Rossi, Martín, 1999. "Efficiency Measures and Regulation: An Illustration of the Gas Distribution Sector in Argentina," UADE Working Papers 4_1999, Instituto de Economía, Universidad Argentina de la Empresa.
- Burns, Philip & Weyman-Jones, Thomas G., 1998. "Is the gas supply market a natural monopoly? Econometric evidence from the British Gas regions," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 223-232, April.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Massimo Filippini & Nevenka Hrovatin & Jelena Zoric, 2002.
"Efficiency and Regulation of the Slovenian Electricity Distribution Companies,"
CEPE Working paper series
02-14, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Filippini, Massimo & Hrovatin, Nevenka & Zoric, Jelena, 2004. "Efficiency and regulation of the Slovenian electricity distribution companies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 335-344, February.
- Christos Pantzios & Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2011.
"Parametric decomposition of the input-oriented Malmquist productivity index: with an application to Greek aquaculture,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 21-31, August.
- Christos Pantzios & Vangelis Tzouvelekas & Giannis Karagiannis, 2005. "Parametric Decomposition of the Input-Oriented Malmquist Productivity Index: With an Application to Greek Aquaculture," Working Papers 0518, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Jaffry, Shabbar & Ghulam, Yaseen & Pascoe, Sean & Cox, Joe, 2007.
"Regulatory changes and productivity of the banking sector in the Indian sub-continent,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 415-438, June.
- Shabbar Jaffry & Yaseen Ghulam & Sean Pascoe & Joe Cox, 2005. "Regulatory Changes and Productivity of the Banking Sector in the Indian Sub-Continent," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 1021-1047.
- Ronaldo Seroa da Motta & Ajax R.B. Moreira, 2004. "Efficiency and Regulation in the Sanitation Sector in Brazil," Discussion Papers 1059, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Ertürk, Mehmet & Türüt-AsIk, Serap, 2011. "Efficiency analysis of Turkish natural gas distribution companies by using data envelopment analysis method," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 1426-1438, March.
- Estache, Antonio & Guasch, Jose-Luis & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2003.
"Price caps, efficiency payoffs, and infrastructure contract renegotiation in Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3129, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & J.L. Guasch & Lourdes Trujillo, 2003. "Price caps, efficiency pay-offs and infrastructure contract renegotiation in Latin America," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44100, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini, Massimo & Kuenzle, Michael, 2007.
"Cost efficiency in the Swiss gas distribution sector,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 64-78, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2004. "Cost Efficiency in the Swiss Gas Distribution Sector," CEPE Working paper series 04-36, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.