Pricing decisions for complementary products with firms’ different market powers
AbstractThis article reports the results of a study that explores the pricing problems with regard to two complementary products in a supply chain with two manufacturers and one common retailer. The authors establish five pricing models under decentralized decision cases, including the MS-Bertrand, MS-Stackelberg, RS-Bertrand, RS-Stackelberg, and NG models, with consideration of different market power structures among channel members. By applying a game-theoretical approach, corresponding analytic solutions are obtained. Then, by comparing the maximum profits and optimal pricing decisions obtained in different decision cases, interesting and valuable managerial insights are established.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 224 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Pricing; Complementary products; Market power; Stackelberg game;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramarao Desiraju & Sridhar Moorthy, 1997. "Managing a Distribution Channel Under Asymmetric Information with Performance Requirements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(12), pages 1628-1644, December.
- Charles A. Ingene & Mark E. Parry, 1995. "Channel Coordination When Retailers Compete," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(4), pages 360-377.
- GABZEWICZ, Jean & SONNAC, Nathalie & WAUTHY, Xavier, .
"On price competition with complementary goods,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1505, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Eunkyu Lee & Richard Staelin, 1997. "Vertical Strategic Interaction: Implications for Channel Pricing Strategy," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(3), pages 185-207.
- Stephen Martin, 1998.
"Strategic and Welfare Implications of Bundling,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1998-14, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- SeyedEsfahani, Mir Mehdi & Biazaran, Maryam & Gharakhani, Mohsen, 2011. "A game theoretic approach to coordinate pricing and vertical co-op advertising in manufacturer-retailer supply chains," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(2), pages 263-273, June.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming, 2007. "Pre-season stocking and pricing decisions for fashion retailers with multiple information updating," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 146-170, March.
- S. Chan Choi, 1991. "Price Competition in a Channel Structure with a Common Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 271-296.
- Hsieh, Chung-Chi & Wu, Cheng-Han, 2009. "Coordinated decisions for substitutable products in a common retailer supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(1), pages 273-288, July.
- Minakshi Trivedi, 1998. "Distribution Channels: An Extension of Exclusive Retailership," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 896-909, July.
- Jagmohan S. Raju & Abhik Roy, 2000. "Market Information and Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1075-1084, August.
- Wagner, Stephan M. & Friedl, Gunther, 2007. "Supplier switching decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(2), pages 700-717, December.
- Cai, Gangshu (George) & Zhang, Zhe George & Zhang, Michael, 2009. "Game theoretical perspectives on dual-channel supply chain competition with price discounts and pricing schemes," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 80-96, January.
- Andy A. Tsay & Narendra Agrawal, 2000. "Channel Dynamics Under Price and Service Competition," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 372-391, August.
- Mukhopadhyay, Samar K. & Yue, Xiaohang & Zhu, Xiaowei, 2011. "A Stackelberg model of pricing of complementary goods under information asymmetry," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 424-433, December.
- Pan, Kewen & Lai, K.K. & Leung, Stephen C.H. & Xiao, Di, 2010. "Revenue-sharing versus wholesale price mechanisms under different channel power structures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(2), pages 532-538, June.
- Cao, Ping & Li, Jianbin & Yan, Hong, 2012. "Optimal dynamic pricing of inventories with stochastic demand and discounted criterion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(3), pages 580-588.
- Zhao, Jing & Tang, Wansheng & Zhao, Ruiqing & Wei, Jie, 2012. "Pricing decisions for substitutable products with a common retailer in fuzzy environments," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(2), pages 409-419.
- Birendra K. Mishra & Srinivasan Raghunathan, 2004. "Retailer- vs. Vendor-Managed Inventory and Brand Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 445-457, April.
- Yao, Z. & Leung, Stephen C.H. & Lai, K.K., 2008. "Manufacturer's revenue-sharing contract and retail competition," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 637-651, April.
- Xia, Yu, 2011. "Competitive strategies and market segmentation for suppliers with substitutable products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 194-203, April.
- Kuo, Chia-Wei & Huang, Kwei-Long, 2012. "Dynamic pricing of limited inventories for multi-generation products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(2), pages 394-403.
- Yue, Xiaohang & Mukhopadhyay, Samar K. & Zhu, Xiaowei, 2006. "A Bertrand model of pricing of complementary goods under information asymmetry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(10-11), pages 1182-1192, October.
- Vives, Xavier, 1985. "On the efficiency of Bertrand and Cournot equilibria with product differentation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 166-175, June.
- Wu, Cheng-Han & Chen, Chieh-Wan & Hsieh, Chung-Chi, 2012. "Competitive pricing decisions in a two-echelon supply chain with horizontal and vertical competition," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 265-274.
- Yu Xia & Bintong Chen & Panos Kouvelis, 2008. "Market-Based Supply Chain Coordination by Matching Suppliers' Cost Structures with Buyers' Order Profiles," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(11), pages 1861-1875, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.