Estimating high-dimensional demand systems in the presence of many binding non-negativity constraints
AbstractTwo econometric issues arise in the structural estimation of consumer or producer demand systems in the presence of many binding non-negativity constraints. Firstly, most existing methods entail the evaluation of multivariate probability integrals. Secondly, the issue of statistical coherency must be addressed. We circumvent both of these issues using Gibbs' Sampling, along with data augmentation and rejection sampling. We illustrate our method using several simulated data sets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 147 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Demand systems Translog Coherency Data augmentation Markov Chain Monte Carlo Gibbs' Sampling;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soest, A.H.O. van & Kapteyn, A.J. & Kooreman, P., 1993.
"Coherency and regularity of demand systems with equality and inequality constraint,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-364384, Tilburg University.
- Soest, Arthur van & Kapteyn, Arie & Kooreman, Peter, 1993. "Coherency and regularity of demand systems with equality and inequality constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 161-188.
- Soest, A.H.O. van & Kooreman, P. & Kapteyn, A.J., 1990. "Coherency and regularity of demand systems with equality and inequality constraints," Discussion Paper 1990-1, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Constructing Instruments for Regressions with Measurement Error when no Additional Data are Available, with an Application to Patents and R&D," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1201-1214, September.
- Bousquet, Alain & Chakir, Raja & Ladoux, Norbert, 2003.
"Modeling Corner Solutions with Panel Data: Application to the Industrial Energy Demand in France,"
IDEI Working Papers
230, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Raja Chakir & Alain Bousquet & Norbert Ladoux, 2004. "Modeling corner solutions with panel data: Application to the industrial energy demand in France," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 193-208, January.
- repec:fth:stanho:e-90-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christopher J. O'Donnell & C. Richard Shumway & V. Eldon Ball, 1999. "Input Demands and Inefficiency in U.S. Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 865-880.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M., 1987.
"Microeconometric models of rationing, imperfect markets, and non-negativity constraints,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 89-110.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M., 1987. "Microeconometric Models of Rationing, Imperfect Markets, and Non-Negativity Constraints," Bulletins 7470, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Van Soest, Arthur & Kooreman, Peter, 1990. "Coherency of the indirect translog demand system with binding nonnegativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 391-400, June.
- A. Ronald Gallant & Gene H. Golub, 1982.
"Imposing Curvature Restrictions on Flexible Functional Forms,"
538, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Golub, Gene H., 1984. "Imposing curvature restrictions on flexible functional forms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 295-321, December.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1975. "Transcendental Logarithmic Utility Functions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 367-83, June.
- Gourieroux, C & Laffont, J J & Monfort, A, 1980.
"Coherency Conditions in Simultaneous Linear Equation Models with Endogenous Switching Regimes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 48(3), pages 675-95, April.
- C. Gourieroux & Jean-Jacques Laffont & A. Monfort, 1979. "Coherency Conditions In Simultaneous Linear Equation Models With Endogenous Switching Regimes," NBER Working Papers 0343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diansheng Dong & Brian W. Gould & Harry M. Kaiser, 2004. "Food Demand in Mexico: An Application of the Amemiya-Tobin Approach to the Estimation of a Censored Food System," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(4), pages 1094-1107.
- Chihwa Kao & Lung-fei Lee & Mark M. Pitt, 2000.
"Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Linear Expenditure System with Binding Non-Negativity Constraints,"
CEMA Working Papers
50, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics, revised Apr 2001.
- Chihwa Kao & Lung-fei Lee & Mark M. Pitt, 2001. "Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Linear Expenditure System with Binding Non-Negativity Constraints," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 2(1), pages 215-235, May.
- Michael Ransom, 1985.
"A Comment on Consumer Demand Systems with Binding Non-Negativity Constraints,"
572, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Ransom, Michael R., 1987. "A comment on consumer demand systems with binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 355-359, March.
- Steven T. Yen & Biing-Hwan Lin & David M. Smallwood, 2003. "Quasi- and Simulated-Likelihood Approaches to Censored Demand Systems: Food Consumption by Food Stamp Recipients in the United States," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 458-478.
- W. Erwin Diewert & T.J. Wales, 1989.
"Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diewert, Walter E & Wales, Terence J, 1987. "Flexible Functional Forms and Global Curvature Conditions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 43-68, January.
- Amos Golan & Jeffrey M. Perloff & Edward Z. Shen, 2001. "Estimating A Demand System With Nonnegativity Constraints: Mexican Meat Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(3), pages 541-550, August.
- Arndt, Channing, 1999. "Demand For Herbicide In Corn: An Entropy Approach Using Micro-Level Data," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Terrell, Dek, 1996. "Incorporating Monotonicity and Concavity Conditions in Flexible Functional Forms," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(2), pages 179-94, March-Apr.
- David E. Sahn, 2005. "Consistent Estimation of Censored Demand Systems Using Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 660-672.
- Barnett, William A. & Geweke, John & Wolfe, Michael, 1991. "Seminonparametric Bayesian estimation of the asymptotically ideal production model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 5-50.
- Wales, T. J. & Woodland, A. D., 1983. "Estimation of consumer demand systems with binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 263-285, April.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Pitt, Mark M, 1986. "Microeconometric Demand Systems with Binding Nonnegativity Constraints: The Dual Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1237-42, September.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1985. "The Econometrics of Nonlinear Budget Sets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1255-82, November.
- Thomas MaCurdy & David Green & Harry Paarsch, 1990. "Assessing Empirical Approaches for Analyzing Taxes and Labor Supply," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(3), pages 415-490.
- Mikkel Barslund, 2011. "Censored Demand System Estimation with Endogenous Expenditures in clustered samples: an application to food demand in urban Mozambique," LICOS Discussion Papers 28011, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.