Quasi- and Simulated-Likelihood Approaches to Censored Demand Systems: Food Consumption by Food Stamp Recipients in the United States
AbstractA quasi-maximum-likelihood estimator is proposed and applied to a censored Translog demand system for foods, using a sample of food stamp recipients in the United States. The procedure produces remarkably close parameter and elasticity estimates to those of the simulated-maximum-likelihood procedure. A two-step procedure is also considered but it produces different elasticities. Demands are found to be price elastic for pork and fish but price inelastic for all other food products. Gross complementarity and net substitutability are obvious but these cross-price effects are much less pronounced than own-price and total food expenditure effects. Copyright 2003, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fadhuile, Adelaide & Lemarie, Stephane & Pirotte, Alain, 2011. "Pesticides Uses in Crop Production: What Can We Learn from French Farmers Practices?," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103654, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gould, Brian W. & Dong, Diansheng, 2004.
"Product Quality And The Demand For Food: The Case Of Urban China,"
2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO
20010, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dong, Diansheng & Gould, Brian W., 2007. "Product Quality and the Demand for Food: The Case of Urban China," China's Agricultural Trade: Issues and Prospects Symposium, July 2007, Beijing, China 55030, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Fabrizio Balli & Silvia Tiezzi, 2010. "Equivalence scales, the cost of children and household consumption patterns in Italy," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 527-549, December.
- Meyerhoefer, Chad D. & Ranney, Christine K. & Sahn, David E., 2003. "Consistent Estimation Of Longitudinal Censored Demand Systems: An Application To Transition Country Data," Working Papers 127252, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Yen, Steven T. & Yuan, Yan & Liu, Xiaowen, 2009. "Alcohol consumption by men in China: A non-Gaussian censored system approach," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 162-173, June.
- Zhuo Chen & Steven Yen, 2005. "On bias correction in the multivariate sample-selection model," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(21), pages 2459-2468.
- Stockton, Matthew C. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 2005. "Demand System Analysis With Emphasis On Container Sizes Of Non-Alcoholic Beverages," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19137, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Moro, Daniele & Sckokai, Paolo, 2013. "The impact of decoupled payments on farm choices: Conceptual and methodological challenges," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 28-38.
- Meyerhoefer, Chad D. & Ranney, Christine K. & Sahn, David E., 2004. "Consistent Estimation Of Longitudinal Censored Demand Systems," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19992, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Pofahl, Geoffrey M. & Capps, Oral, Jr. & Clauson, Annette L., 2005. "Demand for Non-Alcoholic Beverages: Evidence From The ACNielsen Home Scan Panel," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19441, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Davis, Christopher G. & Blayney, Donald P. & Muhammad, Andrew & Yen, Steven T. & Cooper, Joseph C., 2010. "A Cross-Sectional Analysis of U.S. Yogurt Demand," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 41(2), July.
- Tiffin, R & Arnoult, M, 2008. "Bayesian estimation of the infrequency of purchase model with an application to food demand in the UK," MPRA Paper 18836, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mutuc, Maria Erlinda M. & Rejesus, Roderick M. & Pan, Suwen & Yorobe, Jose M., Jr., 2012. "Impact Assessment of Bt Corn Adoption in the Philippines," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(01), February.
- Yen, Steven T. & Fang, Cheng & Su, Shew-Jiuan, 2004. "Household food demand in urban China: a censored system approach," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 564-585, September.
- Cihat Günden & Abdulbaki Bilgic & Bülent Miran & Bahri Karli, 2011. "A censored system of demand analysis to unpacked and prepackaged milk consumption in Turkey," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(6), pages 1273-1290, October.
- Ishdorj, Ariun & Jensen, Helen H., 2010. "Demand For Breakfast Cereals: Whole Grains Guidance And Food Choice," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116445, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thiele, Silke, 2008. "ElastizitÃ¤ten der Nachfrage privater Haushalte nach Nahrungsmitteln â€“ SchÃ¤tzung eines AIDS auf Basis der Einkommens- und Verbrauchsstichprobe 2003," German Journal of Agricultural Economics, Humboldt-Universitaet zu Berlin, Department for Agricultural Economics, vol. 57(5).
- Keith R. McLaren & Ou Yang, 2014. "A Class of Demand Systems Satisfying Global Regularity and Having Complete Rank Flexibility," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 6/14, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Davis, Christopher G. & Blayney, Donald P. & Dong, Diansheng & Yen, Steven T. & Johnson, Rachel J., 2011. "Will Changing Demographics Affect U.S. Cheese Demand?," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 43(02), May.
- Fezzi, Carlo & Bateman, Ian J., 2009. "Structural Agricultural Land Use Modelling," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51423, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fabrizio balli & Silvia Tiezzi, 2008. "Households Consumption Patterns and Equivalence Scales in Italy: 1997-2004," Department of Economics University of Siena 535, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Zheng, Zhihao & Henneberry, Shida Rastegari, 2012. "Estimating the impacts of rising food prices on nutrient intake in urban China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1090-1103.
- Abdulbaki Bilgic & Wojciech Florkowski & Cuma Akbay, 2010. "Demand for cigarettes in Turkey: an application of count data models," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 733-765, December.
- Millimet, Daniel L. & Tchernis, Rusty, 2008. "Estimating high-dimensional demand systems in the presence of many binding non-negativity constraints," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 384-395, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.