A note on the double k-class estimator in simultaneous equations
AbstractDwivedi and Srivastava (1984, DS) studied the exact finite sample properties of Nagarâs (1962) double k-class estimator as continuous functions of its two characterizing scalars k1 and k2, and provided guidelines for their choice in empirical work. In this note we show that the empirical guidelines provided by DS are not entirely valid since they did not explore the complete range of the relevant parameter space in their numerical evaluations. We find that the optimal values of k2 leading to unbiased and mean squared error (MSE) minimizing double k-class estimators are not symmetric with respect to the sign of the product ÏÏ12, where Ï is the correlation coefficient between the structural and reduced form errors, and w12 is the covariance between the unrestricted reduced form errors. Specifically, when ÏÏ12 is positive,the optimal value of k2 is generally positive and greater than k1, which partly explains the superior performance of Zellnerâs (1998) Bayesian Method of Moments (BMOM) and Extended MELO estimators reported in Tsurumi (1990).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 108 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Other versions of this item:
- Lahiri, Kajal & Gao, Chuanming, 2002. "A note on the double k-class estimator in simultaneous equations," MPRA Paper 22323, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zellner, Arnold, 1998. "The finite sample properties of simultaneous equations' estimates and estimators Bayesian and non-Bayesian approaches," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 185-212.
- Dwivedi, T. D. & Srivastava, V. K., 1984. "Exact finite sample properties of double k-class estimators in simultaneous equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 263-283, July.
- Mariano, Roberto S, 1982. "Analytical Small-Sample Distribution Theory in Econometrics: The Simultaneous-Equations Case," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(3), pages 503-33, October.
- Zellner, Arnold & Tobias, Justin, 2001.
"Further Results on Bayesian Method of Moments Analysis of the Multiple Regression Model,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 121-40, February.
- Tobias, Justin & Zellner, Arnold, 2001. "Further Results on Bayesian Method of Moments Analysis of the Multiple Regression Model," Staff General Research Papers 12021, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sawa, Takamitsu, 1972. "Finite-Sample Properties of the k-Class Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 653-80, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.