Bayesian measurement of productivity and efficiency in the presence of undesirable outputs: crediting electric utilities for reducing air pollution
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 126 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Noh, Dong-Woon & Weber, William, 2005. "Characteristics of a polluting technology: theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 469-492, June.
- Ellerman,A. Denny & Joskow,Paul L. & Schmalensee,Richard & Montero,Juan-Pablo & Bailey,Elizabeth M., 2000.
"Markets for Clean Air,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521660839, April.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Zellner, Arnold & Chen, Bin, 2001. "Bayesian Modeling Of Economies And Data Requirements," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(05), pages 673-700, November.
- Nelson, Randy A, 1984. "Regulation, Capital Vintage, and Technical Change in the Electric Utility Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(1), pages 59-69, February.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Yaisawarng, Suthathip & Klein, J Douglass, 1994. "The Effects of Sulfur Dioxide Controls on Productivity Change in the U.S. Electric Power Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(3), pages 447-60, August.
- Tobias, Justin & Zellner, Arnold, 2001.
"Further Results on Bayesian Method of Moments Analysis of the Multiple Regression Model,"
Staff General Research Papers
12021, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Zellner, Arnold & Tobias, Justin, 2001. "Further Results on Bayesian Method of Moments Analysis of the Multiple Regression Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 121-40, February.
- JAY S. COGGINS & John R. Swinton, 1994.
"The Price of Pollution: A Dual Approach to Valuing SO2 Allowances,"
Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers
378, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Coggins, Jay S. & Swinton, John R., 1996. "The Price of Pollution: A Dual Approach to Valuing SO2Allowances," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 58-72, January.
- Reinhard, Stijn & Thijssen, Geert, 1998. "Resource Use Efficiency Of Dutch Dairy Farms; A Parametric Distance Function Approach," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 21022, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- John R. Swinton, 1998. "At What Cost do We Reduce Pollution? Shadow Prices of SO2 Emissions," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 63-83.
- Koop, Gary, 2001. "Cross-Sectoral Patterns of Efficiency and Technical Change in Manufacturing," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 73-103, February.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Barbera, Anthony J. & McConnell, Virginia D., 1990. "The impact of environmental regulations on industry productivity: Direct and indirect effects," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 50-65, January.
- Zellner, Arnold, 1978. "Estimation of functions of population means and regression coefficients including structural coefficients : A minimum expected loss (MELO) approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 127-158, October.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1999. "Inferring the Nutrient Content of Food With Prior Information," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 728-734.
- Conrad, Klaus & Wastl, Dieter, 1995. "The Impact of Environmental Regulation on Productivity in German Industries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 615-33.
- Gary Koop, 1998. "Carbon dioxide emissions and economic growth: A structural approach," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 489-515.
- Zellner, Arnold, 1998. "The finite sample properties of simultaneous equations' estimates and estimators Bayesian and non-Bayesian approaches," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 185-212.
- Kim, Jae-Young, 2002. "Limited information likelihood and Bayesian analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 175-193, March.
- Zellner, Arnold & Highfield, Richard A., 1988. "Calculation of maximum entropy distributions and approximation of marginalposterior distributions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 195-209, February.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Chung, Yangho & Fare, Rolf, 1996. "Benefit and Distance Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 407-419, August.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Cornwell, Christopher & Honerkamp, Olaf, 2003. "Measuring and Decomposing Productivity Change: Stochastic Distance Function Estimation versus Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 284-94, April.
- Fare, Rolf, et al, 1989. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons When Some Outputs Are Undesirable: A Nonparametric Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 90-98, February.
- Scott E. Atkinson & Jeffrey H. Dorfman, 2009. "Feasible estimation of firm-specific allocative inefficiency through Bayesian numerical methods," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 675-697.
- Rezek, Jon P. & Campbell, Randall C., 2007. "Cost estimates for multiple pollutants: A maximum entropy approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 503-519, May.
- Anthony J. Glass & Karligash Kenjegalieva & Robin Sickles, 2012. "The Effects of Efficiency and TFP Growth on Nitrogen and Sulphur Emissions in Europe: A Multistage Spatial Analysis," Discussion Paper Series 2012_11, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Oct 2012.
- Gary Koop & Lise Tole, 2007.
"What is the Environmental Performance of Firms Overseas?: An Empirical Investigation of the Global Gold Mining Industry,"
Working Paper Series
26-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Gary Koop & Lise Tole, 2008. "What is the environmental performance of firms overseas? An empirical investigation of the global gold mining industry," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 129-143, October.
- Kevin Balcombe & Hristos Doucouliagos & Iain Fraseer, 2006.
"Input Usage, Ouput Mix and Industry Deregulation: An Analysis of the Australian Dairy Manufacturing Industry,"
2006_27, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Balcombe, Kelvin George & Doucouliagos, Hristos & Fraser, Iain, 2007. "Input usage, output mix and industry deregulation: an analysis of the Australian dairy manufacturing industry," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Hirofumi Fukuyama & Yuichiro Yoshida & Shunsuke Managi, 2011. "Modal choice between air and rail: a social efficiency benchmarking analysis that considers CO 2 emissions," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 13(2), pages 89-102, June.
- Managi, Shunsuke & Kumar, Surender, 2009. "Trade-induced technological change: Analyzing economic and environmental outcomes," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 721-732, May.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2005. "Feasible Estimation of Firm-Specific Allocative Inefficiency through Bayesian Numerical Methods," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19402, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Yang, Fuxia & Yang, Mian & Nie, Hualin, 2013. "Productivity trends of Chinese regions: A perspective from energy saving and environmental regulations," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 110(C), pages 82-89.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2006. "Chasing Absolute Cost and Profit Savings in a World of Relative Inefficiency," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21058, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- George Assaf, A. & Matousek, Roman & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2013. "Turkish bank efficiency: Bayesian estimation with undesirable outputs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 506-517.
- Anthony Glass & Karligash Kenjegalieva & Robin Sickles, 2013. "How efficiently do U.S. cities manage roadway congestion?," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 407-428, December.
- Roberto Mosheim, 2013. "A shadow distance function decomposition of the environmental Kuznets curve: comparing the South China Sea and the Caribbean," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 457-472, December.
- Lota D. Tamini & Bruno Larue & Gale West, 2012.
"Technical and environmental efficiencies and best management practices in agriculture,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(13), pages 1659-1672, May.
- Tamini, Lota D. & Larue, Bruno, 2009. "Technical and Environmental efficiencies and Best Management Practices in Agriculture," MPRA Paper 18964, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Agee, Mark D. & Atkinson, Scott E. & Crocker, Thomas D. & Williams, Jonathan W., 2014. "Non-separable pollution control: Implications for a CO2 emissions cap and trade system," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 64-82.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.