An index of relative deprivation
AbstractThis paper proposes an index of relative deprivation which, unlike the earlier indices, assumes that the deprivation of a person is sensitive to income transfers among those who are richer than him. The proposed index is quite flexible in accomodating value judgements on the degree of envy felt by individuals in the society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 36 (1991)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stark, Oded, 1984. "Rural-to-Urban Migration in LDCs: A Relative Deprivation Approach," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(3), pages 475-86, April.
- Stark, Oded & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1988. "Labour Migration as a Response to Relative Deprivation," MPRA Paper 21670, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stark, Oded, 1990. "A Relative Deprivation Approach to Performance Incentives in Career Games and Other Contests," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 211-27.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1979. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(2), pages 321-24, May.
- Hey, John D & Lambert, Peter J, 1980. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient: Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 567-73, November.
- Chakravarty, S. R. & Chakraborty, A. B., 1984. "On indices of relative deprivation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 283-287.
- Bossert, Walter & D’Ambrosio, Conchita, 2014.
"Proximity-sensitive individual deprivation measures,"
Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 125-128.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2012. "Proximity-sensitive individual deprivation measures," Cahiers de recherche 2012-16, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Walter Bossert & Conhita D’Ambrosio, 2012. "Proximity-Sensitive Individual Deprivation Measures," Working Papers 283, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Walter Bossert & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2012. "Proximity-Sensitive Individual Deprivation Measures," Cahiers de recherche 19-2012, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Luis Imedio-Olmedo & Encarnación Parrado-Gallardo & Elena Bárcena-Martín, 2012. "Income Inequality Indices Interpreted as Measures of Relative Deprivation/Satisfaction," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 109(3), pages 471-491, December.
- Imedio Olmedo, L. J. & Bárcena Martín, E., 2003. "Privación, status e imposición sobre la renta," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 21, pages 123-147, Abril.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2005.
"Dynamic Measures of Individual Deprivation,"
Cahiers de recherche
11-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2005. "Dynamic Measures of Individual Deprivation," Cahiers de recherche 2005-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Walter Bossert & Conchita d'Ambrosio, 2005. "Dynamic Measures of Individual Deprivation," Working Papers 12, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000. "Gini Indices and the Redistribution of Income," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 141-162, March.
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007.
"Wage Dispersion and Team Performance - An Empirical Panel Analysis,"
0017, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA).
- Egon Franck & Stephan Nüesch, 2007. "Wage Dispersion and Team Performance - An Empirical Panel Analysis," Working Papers 0073, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Corazzini, Luca & Esposito, Lucio & Majorano, Francesca, 2012.
"Reign in hell or serve in heaven? A cross-country journey into the relative vs absolute perceptions of wellbeing,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 715-730.
- Luca Corazzini, Lucio Esposito, Francesca Majorano., 2010. "Reign in Hell or Serve in Heaven? A Cross-country Journey into the Relative vs Absolute Perceptions of Wellbeing," ISLA Working Papers 36, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy.
- Satya Chakravarty & Diganta Mukherjee, 1999.
"Measures of Deprivation and their Meaning in Terms of Social Satisfaction,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 47(1), pages 89-100, August.
- Chakravarty, S.R. & Mukherjee, D., 1998. "Measures of Deprivation and their Meaning in Terms of Social Satisfaction," DELTA Working Papers 98-17, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Labeaga, José M. & Molina, José Alberto & Navarro Paniagua, Maria, 2007. "Income Satisfaction and Deprivation in Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 2702, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lidia Ceriani & Chiara Gigliarano, 2011. "An inter-temporal relative deprivation index," Working Papers 237, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Elena Bárcena-Martín & Luis Imedio-Olmedo & Guillermina Martín-Reyes, 2007. "Inequality and deprivation within and between groups: An illustration of European union countries," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 323-337, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.