Proximity-sensitive individual deprivation measures
AbstractWe propose and characterize a generalization of the classical linear index of individual deprivation based on income shortfalls. Unlike the original measure, our class allows for increases in the income of a higher-income individual to have a stronger impact on a person’s deprivation the closer they occur to the income of the individual whose deprivation is being assessed. The subclass of our measures with this property is axiomatized in our second result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 2012-16.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CP 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville, Montréal, Québec, H3C 3J7
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
Income distribution; Relative deprivation; Equity;
Other versions of this item:
- Bossert, Walter & D’Ambrosio, Conchita, 2014. "Proximity-sensitive individual deprivation measures," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 125-128.
- Walter Bossert & Conhita D’Ambrosio, 2012. "Proximity-Sensitive Individual Deprivation Measures," Working Papers 283, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Walter Bossert & Conchita D'Ambrosio, 2012. "Proximity-Sensitive Individual Deprivation Measures," Cahiers de recherche 19-2012, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1980. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient: Reply," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 575-76, November.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, 2002.
"What Can Economists Learn from Happiness Research?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 402-435, June.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, . "What can Economists Learn from Happiness Research?," IEW - Working Papers 080, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Alois Stutzer, 2001. "What Can Economists Learn from Happiness Research?," CESifo Working Paper Series 503, CESifo Group Munich.
- Luis Imedio-Olmedo & Encarnación Parrado-Gallardo & Elena Bárcena-Martín, 2012. "Income Inequality Indices Interpreted as Measures of Relative Deprivation/Satisfaction," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 109(3), pages 471-491, December.
- Podder, Nripesh, 1996. "Relative Deprivation, Envy and Economic Inequality," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 353-76.
- WEYMARK, John A., .
"Generalized Gini inequality indices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-453, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Satya R. Chakravarty & Patrick Moyes, 2003. "Individual welfare, social deprivation and income taxation," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 843-869, 06.
- Donaldson, David & Weymark, John A., 1980. "A single-parameter generalization of the Gini indices of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Lucio Esposito, 2010. "Upper Boundedness For The Measurement Of Relative Deprivation," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(3), pages 632-639, 09.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1984. "The Relative Deprivation Curve and Its Applications: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 400-405, October.
- Bossert, Walter & D'Ambrosio, Conchita, 2006.
"Reference groups and individual deprivation,"
Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 421-426, March.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D’AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2004. "Reference Groups and Individual Deprivation," Cahiers de recherche 13-2004, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BOSSERT, Walter & D'AMBROSIO, Conchita, 2004. "Reference Groups and Individual Deprivation," Cahiers de recherche 2004-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Chakravarty, S. R. & Chakraborty, A. B., 1984. "On indices of relative deprivation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 283-287.
- Hey, John D & Lambert, Peter J, 1980. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient: Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(3), pages 567-73, November.
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1979. "Relative Deprivation and the Gini Coefficient," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(2), pages 321-24, May.
- Paolo Verme, 2011.
"Two classes of generalized deprivation indexes,"
202, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Kakwani, Nanak, 1984. "The Relative Deprivation Curve and Its Applications," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 2(4), pages 384-94, October.
- Jones, Andrew M. & Wildman, John, 2008. "Health, income and relative deprivation: Evidence from the BHPS," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 308-324, March.
- Salti, Nisreen, 2010. "Relative deprivation and mortality in South Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 70(5), pages 720-728, March.
- Jean-Yves Duclos, 2000. "Gini Indices and the Redistribution of Income," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 141-162, March.
- Oded Stark & J. Taylor, 1989. "Relative deprivation and international migration oded stark," Demography, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-31, March.
- Paul, Satya, 1991. "An index of relative deprivation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 337-341.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.