Do bank characteristics influence the effect of monetary policy on bank risk?
AbstractWe analyze whether bank characteristics affect the impact of monetary policy on bank risk. We find that the insulation effects produced by capital and liquidity were lower for banks operating in countries with particularly low interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 117 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Risk-taking channel; Monetary policy; Credit crisis; Bank characteristics;
Other versions of this item:
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2012. "Do bank characteristics influence the effect of monetary policy on bank risk?," Working Paper Series 1427, European Central Bank.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fip:fedgws:y:2010:i:feb is not listed on IDEAS
- John B. Taylor, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and the Policy Responses: An Empirical Analysis of What Went Wrong," NBER Working Papers 14631, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ouarda Merrouche & Enrica Detragiache & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt, 2010.
"Bank Capital: Lessons from the Financial Crisis,"
IMF Working Papers
10/286, International Monetary Fund.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2010.
"Does monetary policy affect bank risk-taking?,"
Working Paper Series
1166, European Central Bank.
- Raghuram G. Rajan, 2005.
"Has financial development made the world riskier?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 313-369.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 1995.
"Imperfect Competition, Risk Taking, and Regulation in Banking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matutes, Carmen & Vives, Xavier, 2000. "Imperfect competition, risk taking, and regulation in banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Robert Marquez & Luc Laeven, 2010.
"Monetary Policy, Leverage, and Bank Risk-Taking,"
IMF Working Papers
10/276, International Monetary Fund.
- Hamid Mehran & Anjan Thakor, 2009.
"Bank capital and value in the cross section,"
390, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Bank Risk-Taking," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/09, International Monetary Fund.
- Altunbas, Yener & Marqués-Ibáñez, David & Manganelli, Simone, 2011.
"Bank risk during the financial crisis: do business models matter?,"
Working Paper Series
1394, European Central Bank.
- Yener Altunbas & Simone Manganelli & David Marques-Ibanez, 2012. "Bank Risk during the Financial Crisis: Do business models matter?," Working Papers 12003, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- González-Aguado, Carlos & Suarez, Javier, 2011. "Interest Rates and Credit Risk," CEPR Discussion Papers 8398, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2009. "Illiquidity and Interest Rate Policy," NBER Working Papers 15197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Dubecq, S. & Mojon, B. & Ragot, X., 2009. "Fuzzy Capital Requirements, Risk-Shifting and the Risk Taking Channel of Monetary Policy," Working papers 254, Banque de France.
- Juan Sebastián Amador Torres & José EDuardo Gómez G. & Andrés Murcia Pabón, 2013.
"Loans Growth and Banks’ Risk: New Evidence,"
Borradores de Economia
763, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.