Monetary Policy and Bank Risk-Taking
AbstractThis paper contributes to the current debate on what role financial stability considerations should play in monetary policy decision and how best to integrate macro-prudential and monetary policy frameworks. The paper broadly supports the view that monetary policy easing induces greater risk-taking by banks but also shows that the relationship between real interest rates and banking risk is more complex. Ultimately, it depends on how much skin in the game banks have. The central message of the paper is broadly complementary to those in the recent MCM board paper â€œCentral Banking Lessons from the Crisis.â€
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Staff Position Notes with number 2010/09.
Date of creation: 27 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Agur, Itai & Demertzis, Maria, 2013.
"“Leaning against the wind” and the timing of monetary policy,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 179-194.
- Itai Agur & Maria Demertzis, 2011. ""Leaning Against the Wind" and the Timing of Monetary Pollicy," DNB Working Papers 303, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Itai Agur & Maria Demertzis, 2013. ""Leaning Against the Wind" and the Timing of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 13/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Drees, Burkhard & Eckwert, Bernhard & Várdy, Felix, 2013. "Cheap money and risk taking: Opacity versus fundamental risk," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 114-129.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2012.
"Do bank characteristics influence the effect of monetary policy on bank risk?,"
Working Paper Series
1427, European Central Bank.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marques-Ibanez, David, 2012. "Do bank characteristics influence the effect of monetary policy on bank risk?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 220-222.
- Fritz Breuss, 2011. "Global financial crisis as a phenomenon of stock market overshooting," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 131-152, February.
- Piergiorgio Alessandri & Benjamin Nelson, 2014.
"Simple banking: profitability and the yield curve,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
945, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Valderrama, Maria Teresa & Gaggl, Paul, 2010. "Does a Low Interest Rate Environment Affect Risk Taking in Austria?," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 32â48.
- Agur, Itai, 2013. "Multiple bank regulators and risk taking," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 259-268.
- Roxana Mihet, 2012.
"Effects of Culture on Firm Risk-Taking: A Cross-Country and Cross-Industry Analysis,"
IMF Working Papers
12/210, International Monetary Fund.
- Roxana Mihet, 2013. "Effects of culture on firm risk-taking: a cross-country and cross-industry analysis," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 109-151, February.
- Delis, Manthos D & Hasan, Iftekhar & Mylonidis, Nikolaos, 2011. "The risk-taking channel of monetary policy in the USA: Evidence from micro-level data," MPRA Paper 34084, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claudia M. Buch & Sandra Eickmeier & Esteban Prieto, 2011. "In Search for Yield? New Survey-Based Evidence on Bank Risk Taking," CESifo Working Paper Series 3375, CESifo Group Munich.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Eickmeier, Sandra & Prieto, Esteban, 2011. "In search for yield? Survey-based evidence on bank risk taking," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2011,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Crowe, Christopher & Dell’Ariccia, Giovanni & Igan, Deniz & Rabanal, Pau, 2013.
"How to deal with real estate booms: Lessons from country experiences,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 300-319.
- Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan, 2011. "How to Deal with Real Estate Booms: Lessons from Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Ekin Ayse Ozsuca & Elif Akbostanci, 2012. "An Empirical Analysis of the Risk Taking Channel of Monetary Policy in Turkey," ERC Working Papers 1208, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2012.
- Simona E. Cociuba & Malik Shukayev & Alexander Ueberfeldt, 2012. "Collateralized Borrowing and Risk Taking at Low Interest Rates?," University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers 20121, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Apostolos Thomadakis, 2012. "Contagion or Flight-to-Quality Phenomena in Stock and Bond Returns," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0612, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2012. "Property Prices and Bank Risk-taking," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Alexandra Heath & Frank Packer & Callan Windsor (ed.), Property Markets and Financial Stability Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Claudio Borio & Haibin Zhu, 2008.
"Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: a missing link in the transmission mechanism?,"
BIS Working Papers
268, Bank for International Settlements.
- Borio, Claudio & Zhu, Haibin, 2012. "Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: A missing link in the transmission mechanism?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 236-251.
- Simona E. Cociuba & Malik Shukayev & Alexander Ueberfeldt, 2011. "Do Low Interest Rates Sow the Seeds of Financial Crises?," Working Papers 11-31, Bank of Canada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.