Monetary Policy and Bank Risk-Taking
AbstractThis paper contributes to the current debate on what role financial stability considerations should play in monetary policy decision and how best to integrate macro-prudential and monetary policy frameworks. The paper broadly supports the view that monetary policy easing induces greater risk-taking by banks but also shows that the relationship between real interest rates and banking risk is more complex. Ultimately, it depends on how much skin in the game banks have. The central message of the paper is broadly complementary to those in the recent MCM board paper â€œCentral Banking Lessons from the Crisis.â€
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Staff Position Notes with number 2010/09.
Date of creation: 27 Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Apostolos Thomadakis, 2012. "Contagion or Flight-to-Quality Phenomena in Stock and Bond Returns," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0612, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Fritz Breuss, 2011. "Global financial crisis as a phenomenon of stock market overshooting," Empirica, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 131-152, February.
- Borio, Claudio & Zhu, Haibin, 2012.
"Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: A missing link in the transmission mechanism?,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 236-251.
- Claudio Borio & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Capital regulation, risk-taking and monetary policy: a missing link in the transmission mechanism?," BIS Working Papers 268, Bank for International Settlements.
- Claudia M. Buch & Sandra Eickmeier & Esteban Prieto, 2011. "In Search for Yield? New Survey-Based Evidence on Bank Risk Taking," CESifo Working Paper Series 3375, CESifo Group Munich.
- Giovanni Dell'Ariccia, 2012. "Property Prices and Bank Risk-taking," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Alexandra Heath & Frank Packer & Callan Windsor (ed.), Property Markets and Financial Stability Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Roxana Mihet, 2012.
"Effects of Culture on Firm Risk-Taking: A Cross-Country and Cross-Industry Analysis,"
IMF Working Papers
12/210, International Monetary Fund.
- Roxana Mihet, 2013. "Effects of culture on firm risk-taking: a cross-country and cross-industry analysis," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 109-151, February.
- Pau Rabanal & Christopher W. Crowe & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Deniz Igan, 2011. "How to Deal with Real Estate Booms: Lessons from Country Experiences," IMF Working Papers 11/91, International Monetary Fund.
- Delis, Manthos D & Hasan, Iftekhar & Mylonidis, Nikolaos, 2011. "The risk-taking channel of monetary policy in the USA: Evidence from micro-level data," MPRA Paper 34084, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marques-Ibanez, David, 2012.
"Do bank characteristics influence the effect of monetary policy on bank risk?,"
Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 220-222.
- Altunbas, Yener & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Marqués-Ibáñez, David, 2012. "Do bank characteristics influence the effect of monetary policy on bank risk?," Working Paper Series 1427, European Central Bank.
- Alessandri, Piergiorgio & Nelson, Benjamin, 2012. "Simple banking: profitability and the yield curve," Bank of England working papers 452, Bank of England.
- Paul Gaggl & Maria Teresa Valderrama, 2010. "Does a Low Interest Rate Environment Affect Risk Taking in Austria?," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 4, pages 32-48, January.
- Ekin Ayse Ozsuca & Elif Akbostanci, 2012. "An Empirical Analysis of the Risk Taking Channel of Monetary Policy in Turkey," ERC Working Papers 1208, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2012.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Eickmeier, Sandra & Prieto, Esteban, 2011. "In search for yield? Survey-based evidence on bank risk taking," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2011,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Simona E. Cociuba & Malik Shukayev & Alexander Ueberfeldt, 2011. "Do Low Interest Rates Sow the Seeds of Financial Crises?," Working Papers 11-31, Bank of Canada.
- Simona E. Cociuba & Malik Shukayev & Alexander Ueberfeldt, 2012. "Collateralized Borrowing and Risk Taking at Low Interest Rates?," University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers 20121, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.