Detection of non-linear structure in time series
AbstractIn this paper we introduce a new method to detect lags in time series by using permutation entropy. The method is applied to several well-known dynamic processes. The good power performance of the new method in detecting memory structure/lags is notable and gives rise to an expectation that it may form a suitable basis for constructive specification searches.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 105 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matilla-Garcia, Mariano & Ruiz Marin, Manuel, 2008. "A non-parametric independence test using permutation entropy," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 139-155, May.
- C. W. Granger & E. Maasoumi & J. Racine, 2004. "A Dependence Metric for Possibly Nonlinear Processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 649-669, 09.
- Yoon, Gawon, 2010. "Do real exchange rates really follow threshold autoregressive or exponential smooth transition autoregressive models?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 605-612, March.
- Zunino, Luciano & Zanin, Massimiliano & Tabak, Benjamin M. & Pérez, Darío G. & Rosso, Osvaldo A., 2010. "Complexity-entropy causality plane: A useful approach to quantify the stock market inefficiency," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(9), pages 1891-1901.
- Marcos Herrera & Manuel Ruiz & Jes�s Mur, 2013.
"Detecting Dependence Between Spatial Processes,"
Spatial Economic Analysis,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 469-497, February.
- Helmut Elsinger, 2010. "Independence Tests based on Symbolic Dynamics," Working Papers 165, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Matilla-García, Mariano & Marín, Manuel Ruiz & Dore, Mohammed I., 2014. "A permutation entropy based test for causality: The volume–stock price relation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 398(C), pages 280-288.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.