A non-parametric independence test using permutation entropy
AbstractIn the present paper we construct a new, simple, consistent and powerful test for independence by using symbolic dynamics and permutation entropy as a measure of serial dependence. We also give a standard asymptotic distribution of an affine transformation of the permutation entropy under the null hypothesis of independence. The test statistic and its standard limit distribution are invariant to any monotonic transformation. The test applies to time series with discrete or continuous distributions. Eventhough the test is based on entropy measures, it avoids smoothed non-parametric estimation. An application to several daily financial time series illustrates our approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 144 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconom
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harry Joe, 1989. "Estimation of entropy and other functionals of a multivariate density," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 683-697, December.
- Oliver Linton & Mototsugu Shintani, 2003.
"Nonparametric Neural Network Estimation of Lyapunov Exponents and a Direct Test for Chaos,"
STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series
/2003/455, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Shintani, Mototsugu & Linton, Oliver, 2004. "Nonparametric neural network estimation of Lyapunov exponents and a direct test for chaos," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 1-33, May.
- Mototsugu Shintani & Oliver Linton, 2003. "Nonparametric Neural Network Estimation of Lyapunov Exponents and a Direct Test for Chaos," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0309, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Oliver Linton & Mototsugu Shintani, 2002. "Nonparametric Neutral Network Estimation of Lyapunov Exponents and a Direct Test for Chaos," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2002/434, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- C. W. Granger & E. Maasoumi & J. Racine, 2004. "A Dependence Metric for Possibly Nonlinear Processes," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 649-669, 09.
- Simón Sosvilla-Rivero & Fernando Fernández-Rodriguez & Julián Andrada-Félix, 2005.
"Testing chaotic dynamics via Lyapunov exponents,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 911-930.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Pinkse, Joris, 1998. "A consistent nonparametric test for serial independence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 205-231, June.
- Yongmiao Hong & Halbert White, 2005. "Asymptotic Distribution Theory for Nonparametric Entropy Measures of Serial Dependence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(3), pages 837-901, 05.
- Jesus Mur & Marcos Herrera & Manuel Ruiz, 2011. "Selecting the W Matrix. Parametric vs Nonparametric Approaches," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1055, European Regional Science Association.
- Matilla-García, Mariano & Ruiz Marín, Manuel, 2009. "Detection of non-linear structure in time series," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 1-6, October.
- Herrera Gómez, Marcos & Mur Lacambra, Jesús & Ruiz Marín, Manuel, 2011.
"¿Cuál matriz de pesos espaciales?. Un enfoque sobre selección de modelos
[Which spatial weighting matrix? An approach for model selection]," MPRA Paper 37585, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herrera Gómez, Marcos & Ruiz Marín, Manuel & Mur Lacambra, Jesús, 2013. "Detecting dependence between spatial processes," MPRA Paper 43861, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herrera Gómez, Marcos & Ruiz Marín, Manuel & Mur Lacambra, Jesús, 2011.
"Detección de Dependencia Espacial mediante Análisis Simbólico
[Detection of Spatial Dependence using Symbolic Analysis]," MPRA Paper 38603, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herrera Gómez, Marcos & Ruiz Marín, Manuel & Mur Lacambra, Jesús & Paelinck, Jean, 2010. "A Non-Parametric Approach to Spatial Causality," MPRA Paper 36768, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jesus Mur & Antonio Paez, 2011. "Local weighting or the necessity of flexibility," ERSA conference papers ersa11p942, European Regional Science Association.
- Helmut Elsinger, 2010. "Independence Tests based on Symbolic Dynamics," Working Papers 165, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Yoon, Gawon, 2010. "Do real exchange rates really follow threshold autoregressive or exponential smooth transition autoregressive models?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 605-612, March.
- López, Fernando & Matilla-García, Mariano & Mur, Jesús & Marín, Manuel Ruiz, 2010. "A non-parametric spatial independence test using symbolic entropy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2-3), pages 106-115, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.