Independence Tests based on Symbolic Dynamics
AbstractNew methods to test whether a time series is i.i.d. are proposed in a recent series of papers (Matilla-García , Matilla-García and Marín , Matilla-García and Marín , and Matilla-García et al. ). The main idea is to map m-histories of a time series onto elements of the symmetric group. The observed frequencies of the different elements are then used to detect dependencies in the original series. The author will demonstrate that the results presented in the above papers are not correct in the suggested generality. Moreover, simulation results indicate that the performance of the original tests are not as good as betoken.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its series Working Papers with number 165.
Date of creation: 15 Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Economic Studies Division, c/o Beate Hofbauer-Berlakovich, POB 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matilla-Garcia, Mariano, 2007. "A non-parametric test for independence based on symbolic dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3889-3903, December.
- Matilla-Garcia, Mariano & Ruiz Marin, Manuel, 2008. "A non-parametric independence test using permutation entropy," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 139-155, May.
- Mariano Matilla-García & José Miguel Rodríguez & Manuel Ruiz Marín, 2010. "A symbolic test for testing independence between time series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(2), pages 76-85, 03.
- Matilla-García, Mariano & Ruiz Marín, Manuel, 2009. "Detection of non-linear structure in time series," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 1-6, October.
- Elsinger, Helmut, 2013. "Comment on: A non-parametric spatial independence test using symbolic entropy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 838-840.
- Elsinger, Helmut, 2013. "Comment on: A new test for chaos and determinism based on symbolic dynamics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 131-138.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Knell and Helmut Stix).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.