Technology gaps in European banking: Put the blame on inputs or outputs?
AbstractThis paper investigates the production efficiency of 12 European banking systems over the period 1997–2004, taking into account possible technology heterogeneity. Using a non-parametric metafrontier framework, efficiency and metatechnology ratio measures are computed and decomposed into input- and output-invariant components. Empirical findings indicate the existence of significant and rather increasing technology heterogeneity within European banking. A typology of the national banking systems is also developed, based on the overall productive performance with respect to the European technological edge, the absorptive capacity and the role of knowledge spillover effects. Decomposition results draw attention to catching up policies focusing on input and/or output scale adjustments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 29 (2012)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Production efficiency; Metafrontier; Technology gaps; Banking firms; Data envelopment analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geels, Frank W., 2004. "From sectoral systems of innovation to socio-technical systems: Insights about dynamics and change from sociology and institutional theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(6-7), pages 897-920, September.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2000.
"A Comparative Study of Efficiency in European Banking,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
00-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2003. "A comparative study of efficiency in European banking," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(17), pages 1865-1876.
- Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Konstantinos, 2009. "Efficiency decompositions for heterogeneous technologies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(1), pages 209-218, November.
- Christopher O’Donnell & D. Rao & George Battese, 2008. "Metafrontier frameworks for the study of firm-level efficiencies and technology ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Carbo, S & Gardener, E P M & Williams, J, 2002. "Efficiency in Banking: Empirical Evidence from the Savings Banks Sector," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(2), pages 204-28, March.
- Dietsch, Michel & Lozano-Vivas, Ana, 2000. "How the environment determines banking efficiency: A comparison between French and Spanish industries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 985-1004, June.
- Halkos, George Emm. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2011.
"Modelling the effect of national culture on multinational banks' performance: A conditional robust nonparametric frontier analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 515-525, January.
- Halkos, George Emm. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2011. "Modelling the effect of national culture on multinational banks' performance: A conditional robust nonparametric frontier analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 515-525.
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel C., 2010. "Estimating the speed of adjustment of European banking efficiency under a quadratic loss function," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-11, January.
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Margaritis, Dimitris & Staikouras, Christos, 2009. "Efficiency and productivity growth in the banking industry of Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 557-567, March.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- George Battese & D. Rao & Christopher O'Donnell, 2004. "A Metafrontier Production Function for Estimation of Technical Efficiencies and Technology Gaps for Firms Operating Under Different Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, January.
- Bos, Jaap W. B. & Schmiedel, Heiko, 2006.
"Is there a single frontier in a single European banking market?,"
Working Paper Series
0701, European Central Bank.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Schmiedel, H., 2007. "Is there a single frontier in a single European banking market?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2081-2102, July.
- Carbo Valverde, Santiago & Humphrey, David B. & Lopez del Paso, Rafael, 2007. "Do cross-country differences in bank efficiency support a policy of "national champions"?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2173-2188, July.
- Cowan,Robin & David,Paul & Foray,Dominique, 1999.
"The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness,"
025, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cowan, Robin & David, Paul A & Foray, Dominique, 2000. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(2), pages 211-53, June.
- Robin Cowan & Paul A. David & Dominique Foray, 1999. "The Explicit Economics of Knowledge Codification and Tacitness," Working Papers 99027, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-66, September.
- Francisco Pérez García & Javier Quesada Ibañez & Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez, 1999.
"- Cost And Profit Efficiency In European Banks,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1999-12, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose M. & Perez, Francisco & Quesada, Javier, 2002. "Cost and profit efficiency in European banks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 33-58, February.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2010. "Are cooperatives the weakest link in European banking? A non-parametric metafrontier approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1946-1957, August.
- Bert Balk, 2001. "Scale Efficiency and Productivity Change," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 159-183, May.
- Adnan Kasman & Canan Yildirim, 2006. "Cost and profit efficiencies in transition banking: the case of new EU members," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1079-1090.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1993.
"Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 102-103, April.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1982. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 147-162, June.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J. B., 2003. "Efficiency in Japanese banking: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 891-917, May.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2006. "Bank Competition, Concentration And Efficiency In The Single European Market," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 441-468, 07.
- Jaider Vega-Jurado & Antonio Gutiérrez-Gracia & Ignacio Fernández-de-Lucio, 2009. "Does external knowledge sourcing matter for innovation? Evidence from the Spanish manufacturing industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(4), pages 637-670, August.
- Kostas Tsekouras & Dimitris Skuras & Irene Daskalopoulou, 2008. "The role of productive efficiency on entry and post-entry performance under different strategic orientation: the case of the Greek plastics and rubber industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(1), pages 37-55.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.