Efficiency in Banking: Empirical Evidence from the Savings Banks Sector
AbstractThis study aims to contribute to the established literature by using the Fourier flexible functional form and stochastic cost frontier methodologies to estimate scale economies and X-inefficiencies for a large sample of European savings banks between 1989 and 1996. In their extensive review of the bank efficiency literature, Berger and Humphrey note that the volume of European studies has not matched that of the USA and there exists a paucity of cross-country studies. Whereas scale economies are widespread and positively related to bank size, we find no evidence of a significant relationship between size and X-efficiency. Generally, scale economies are found to range between 7 and 10 per cent, while X-inefficiency measures appear to be much larger, around 22 per cent. These results suggest that European savings banks can obtain cost reductions through reducing managerial and other inefficiencies and also by increasing the scale of production. Copyright 2002 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd and The Victoria University of Manchester
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Manchester in its journal Manchester School.
Volume (Year): 70 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manchester M13 9PL
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1463-6786
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hendrik Hakenes & Isabel Schnabel, 2006.
"The Threat of Capital Drain: A Rationale for Public Banks?,"
Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods
2006_11, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Hakenes, Hendrik & Schnabel, Isabel, 2006. "The Threat of Capital Drain: A Rationale for Public Banks?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 107, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Paul Schure & Dermot O'Brien & Rien Wagenvoort, 2002.
"The Efficiency and the Conduct of European Banks: Developments after 1992,"
EUI-RSCAS Working Papers
60, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Schure, Paul & Wagenvoort, Rien & O'Brien, Dermot, 2004. "The efficiency and the conduct of European banks: Developments after 1992," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 371-396.
- Cristina Bernini & Paola Brighi, 2012. "Modeling the effects of Geographical Expansion Strategies on the Italian Minor Banks’ Efficiency," Working Paper Series 72_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Margono, Heru & Sharma, Subhash C. & Melvin II, Paul D., 2010. "Cost efficiency, economies of scale, technological progress and productivity in Indonesian banks," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 53-65, February.
- Manfred Neumann, 2011. "Comment on ‘Competition Tests with a Non‐Structural Model: The Panzar–Rosse Method Applied to Germany's Savings Banks’," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(2), pages 239-241, 05.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2007.
"Managers and efficiency in banking,"
Research Discussion Papers
11/2007, Bank of Finland.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- Santiago Carbó Valverde & Antonio Palomares Bautista & Victoriano Ramírez González, 2004. "La regulación de los órganos de gobierno de las cajas de ahorros: consideraciones electorales," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 171(4), pages 33-55, december.
- Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Filippaki & Emmanuel Mamatzakis, 2013. "How labour market regulation shapes bank performance in EU-15 countries?," Working Papers 162, Bank of Greece.
- Weill, Laurent, 2009.
"Convergence in banking efficiency across European countries,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 818-833, December.
- Laurent Weill, 2008. "Convergence in Banking Efficiency Across European Countries," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2008-07, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Horst Gischer & Toni Richter, 2011. "'Global Player' im Bankenwesen - ökonomisch sinnvoll oder problembehaftet?," FEMM Working Papers 110012, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Barros, Carlos Pestana & Managi, Shunsuke & Matousek, Roman, 2009. "Productivity growth and biased technological change: Credit banks in Japan," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 924-936, December.
- Kontolaimou, Alexandra & Kounetas, Konstantinos & Mourtos, Ioannis & Tsekouras, Kostas, 2012. "Technology gaps in European banking: Put the blame on inputs or outputs?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1798-1808.
- Haider Alzubaidi & Spiros Bougheas, . "The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on European Banking Efficiency," Discussion Papers 12/05, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Baldursson, Fridrik Mar, 2006. "Rent-seeking and fairness: The case of the Reykjavik Savings Bank," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 123-142, March.
- S. P. Chakravarty, 2006. "Regional variation in banking services and social exclusion," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 415-428.
- Mamatzakis, E & Koutsomanoli, A, 2009. "Risk in the EU banking industry and efficiency under quantile analysis," MPRA Paper 22492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.