An Efficiency Comparison of European Banking Systems Operating under Different Environmental Conditions
AbstractThe paper investigates the operating efficiency differences of a sample of commercial banks across 10 European countries. First, the paper analyzes the technical efficiency of each country sample following the “basic” Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) model incorporating only banking variables. Then, a “complete” DEA model is introduced, incorporating environmental factors together with the banking variables of the basic model. The comparison between the two models shows that country-specific environmental conditions exercise a strong influence over the behavior of each country's banking industry. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Productivity Analysis.
Volume (Year): 18 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100296
efficiency; DEA; environmental conditions; European banking;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pastor, Jesus T. & Ruiz, Jose L. & Sirvent, Inmaculada, 1999. "A statistical test for detecting influential observations in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 542-554, June.
- Berger, Allen N. & DeYoung, Robert, 1997.
"Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 849-870, June.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1995. "Problem Loans and Cost Efficiency in Commercial Banks," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Allen N. Berger & Robert DeYoung, 1997. "Problem loans and cost efficiency in commercial banks," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-8, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996.
"Stock markets, banks, and economic growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1690, The World Bank.
- Allen, Linda & Rai, Anoop, 1996. "Operational efficiency in banking: An international comparison," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 655-672, May.
- Hall, Maximilian J.B. & Kenjegalieva, Karligash A. & Simper, Richard, 2012.
"Environmental factors affecting Hong Kong banking: A post-Asian financial crisis efficiency analysis,"
Global Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 184-201.
- Maximilian J. B. Hall & Karligash A. Kenjegalieva & Richard Simper, 2008. "Environmental Factors Affecting Hong Kong Banking: A Post-Asian Financial Crisis Efficiency Analysis," Working Papers 122008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Karligash Kenjegalieva & Maximilian J. B. Hall & Richard Simper, 2008. "Environmental Factors Affecting Hong Kong Banking: A Post-Asian Financial Crisis Efficiency Analysis," Discussion Paper Series 2008-01, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jun 2008.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2009.
"IMF Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes: Evidence from East Asia,"
CARF-F-148, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2009. "IMF Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes: Evidence from East Asia," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 167-187, April.
- Mohamed Ariff & Luc Can, 2008. "Imf Bank-Restructuring Efficiency Outcomes:Evidence From East Asia," CARF F-Series CARF-F-128, Center for Advanced Research in Finance, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo.
- Haider Alzubaidi & Spiros Bougheas, . "The Impact of the Global Financial Crisis on European Banking Efficiency," Discussion Papers 12/05, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Conrad, Alexander & Neuberger, Doris & Trigo Gamarra, Lucinda, 2009. "The impact of regional and demographic factors on the efficiency of German savings banks," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 111, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Filippaki & Dimitris Margaritis & Christos Staikouras, 2012. "Profit efficiency in the European Union banking industry: a directional technology distance function approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 277-293, June.
- Chortareas, Georgios E. & Girardone, Claudia & Ventouri, Alexia, 2012. "Bank supervision, regulation, and efficiency: Evidence from the European Union," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 292-302.
- Hadad, Muliaman D. & Hall, Maximilian J.B. & Santoso, Wimboh & Simper, Richard, 2013. "Economies of scale and a process for identifying hypothetical merger potential in Indonesian commercial banks," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 42-51.
- Sameh Charfeddine Karray & Jamel eddine Chichti, 2013. "Bank Size and Efficiency in Developing Countries: Intermediation Approach versus Value Added Approach and Impact of Non-Traditional Activities," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(5), pages 593-613, May.
- Anastasia Koutsomanoli-Filippaki & Emmanuel Mamatzakis, 2013. "How labour market regulation shapes bank performance in EU-15 countries?," Working Papers 162, Bank of Greece.
- Erber, Georg & Madlener, Reinhard, 2008.
"Impact of ICT and Human Skills on the European Financial Intermediation Sector,"
FCN Working Papers
5/2008, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Georg Erber & Reinhard Madlener, 2009. "Impact of ICT and Human Skills on the European Financial Intermediation Sector," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Huang, Wei & Eling, Martin, 2013. "An efficiency comparison of the non-life insurance industry in the BRIC countries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 577-591.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Miranda, Rogério Boueri & Fazio, Dimas M., 2013.
"A geographically weighted approach to measuring efficiency in panel data: The case of US saving banks,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 3747-3756.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Rogério B. Miranda & Dimas M. Fazio, 2012. "A Geographically Weighted Approach in Measuring Efficiency in Panel Data: the Case of US Saving Banks," Working Papers Series 275, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Conrad, Alexander & Neuberger, Doris & Trigo Gamarra, Lucinda, 2009. "Der Einfluss regionaler und demographischer Umfeldfaktoren auf die Kosten- und Ertragssituation von Sparkassen: Eine Effizienzanalyse," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 107, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Amaya Altuzarra & Jesús Ferreiro & Catalina Gálvez & Carmen Gómez & Ana González & Patricia Peinado & Carlos Rodríguez & Felipe Serrano, 2013. "Studies in Financial Systems No 6 Report on the Spanish Financial System," FESSUD studies fstudy06, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Thoraneenitiyan, Nakhun, 2010. "Purging data before productivity analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 294-302, March.
- Laurent Weill, 2004. "Measuring Cost Efficiency in European Banking: A Comparison of Frontier Techniques," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 133-152, March.
- Jia-Ching Juo, 2014. "Decomposing the change in profit of Taiwanese banks: incorporating risk," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 247-262, April.
- Asmild, Mette & Bogetoft, Peter & Leth Hougaard, Jens, 2013. "Rationalising inefficiency: Staff utilisation in branches of a large Canadian bank," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 80-87.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.