Compensation measures for alliance formation: A real options analysis
AbstractThis paper presents a real options model of alliance formation between two firms for entry into a new market. We analyze how different compensation measures affect the alliance timing and option values. Generally, when profit structures of the two firms before and after an alliance are different, their individually optimal alliance timings do not coincide. Therefore, achieving an agreement on a common alliance timing becomes an important issue. To promote alliance formation, we examine two feasible compensation measures provided by one firm to the other: share adjustment (flow compensation) and subsidy (lump-sum compensation). We find that subsidy induces an earlier alliance, although share adjustment is Pareto optimal in terms of the joint option value.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economic Modelling.
Volume (Year): 28 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/30411
Real options Alliance Flow payment Lump-sum payment;
Other versions of this item:
- Nishide, Katsumasa & Tian, Yuan, 2011. "Compensation measures for alliance formation: A real options analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 219-228.
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yu, Chia-Feng & Chang, Ta-Cheng & Fan, Chinn-Ping, 2007. "FDI timing: Entry cost subsidy versus tax rate reduction," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 262-271, March.
- Thijssen, Jacco J.J., 2008. "Optimal and strategic timing of mergers and acquisitions motivated by synergies and risk diversification," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1701-1720, May.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2006.
"Investment, Consumption, and Hedging under Incomplete Markets,"
CEMA Working Papers
459, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Miao, Jianjun & Wang, Neng, 2007. "Investment, consumption, and hedging under incomplete markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 608-642, December.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2006. "Investment, consumption and hedging under incomplete markets," 2006 Meeting Papers 289, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2007. "Investment, Consumption, and Hedging under Incomplete Markets," NBER Working Papers 13250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Junjian Miao & Neng Wang, 2005. "Investment, Consumption and Hedging under Incomplete Markets," Boston University - Department of Economics - Macroeconomics Working Papers Series WP2005-011, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Sep 2006.
- McDonald, Robert & Siegel, Daniel, 1986. "The Value of Waiting to Invest," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(4), pages 707-27, November.
- Mathews, Richmond D., 2006. "Strategic alliances, equity stakes, and entry deterrence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 35-79, April.
- Michel A. Habib & Pierre Mella-Barral, 2007. "The Role of Knowhow Acquisition in the Formation and Duration of Joint Ventures," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(1), pages 189-233, January.
- Morellec, Erwan & Zhdanov, Alexei, 2005. "The dynamics of mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(3), pages 649-672, September.
- Lambrecht, Bart M., 2004. "The timing and terms of mergers motivated by economies of scale," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 41-62, April.
- Contractor, Farok J. & Ra, Wonchan, 2000. "Negotiating alliance contracts: Strategy and behavioral effects of alternative compensation arrangements," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 271-299, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.