Strategic Alliances, Shared Facilities, and Entry Deterrence
AbstractWe explore some possible anticompetitive effects of one particular type of strategic alliance--common in the airline industry, among others--that involves the sharing of production capacity. An offer to share an existing facility can allow an incumbent to persuade a potential entrant not to build its own facility. We establish conditions under which an agreement to share will be anticompetitive in the sense that, absent the agreement, a more competitive outcome (i.e., entry with new capacity) would have obtained. Such alliances can reduce welfare even if the incumbent and entrant will not be direct competitors.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Zhiqi & Ross, Thomas W., 2003. "Cooperating upstream while competing downstream: a theory of input joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 381-397, March.
- Lazzarini, Sergio G., 2002. "The Performance Implications of Membership in Competing Firm Constellations: Evidence from the Global Airline Industry," Insper Working Papers wpe_23, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Mathews, Richmond D., 2006. "Strategic alliances, equity stakes, and entry deterrence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 35-79, April.
- Qiu, Larry D., 2010. "Cross-border mergers and strategic alliances," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 818-831, August.
- Eerola, Essi & Maattanen, Niku, 2004.
"Strategic alliances, joint investments, and market structure,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 241-251, February.
- Eerola, Essi & Määttänen, Niku, 2003. "Strategic Alliances, Joint Investments, and Market Structure," Discussion Papers 871, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Ghosh, Arghya & Morita, Hodaka, 2012. "Competitor collaboration and product distinctiveness," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 137-152.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.