Strategic Alliances, Shared Facilities, and Entry Deterrence
AbstractWe explore some possible anticompetitive effects of one particular type of strategic alliance--common in the airline industry, among others--that involves the sharing of production capacity. An offer to share an existing facility can allow an incumbent to persuade a potential entrant not to build its own facility. We establish conditions under which an agreement to share will be anticompetitive in the sense that, absent the agreement, a more competitive outcome (i.e., entry with new capacity) would have obtained. Such alliances can reduce welfare even if the incumbent and entrant will not be direct competitors.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 (Summer)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goetz, Christopher F. & Shapiro, Adam Hale, 2012. "Strategic alliance as a response to the threat of entry: Evidence from airline codesharing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 735-747.
- Nishide, Katsumasa & Tian, Yuan, 2011.
"Compensation measures for alliance formation: A real options analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 219-228, January.
- Nishide, Katsumasa & Tian, Yuan, 2011. "Compensation measures for alliance formation: A real options analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 219-228.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2006. "Rivalry between strategic alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 287-301, March.
- Ghosh, Arghya & Morita, Hodaka, 2012. "Competitor collaboration and product distinctiveness," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 137-152.
- Fang, Yiwei & Francis , Bill & Hasan , Iftekhar & Wang, Haizhi, 2011.
"Product market relationships and cost of bank loans: evidence from strategic alliances,"
Research Discussion Papers
4/2011, Bank of Finland.
- Fang, Yiwei & Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wang, Haizhi, 2012. "Product market relationships and cost of bank loans: Evidence from strategic alliances," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 653-674.
- Eerola, Essi & Määttänen, Niku, 2003.
"Strategic Alliances, Joint Investments, and Market Structure,"
871, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Eerola, Essi & Maattanen, Niku, 2004. "Strategic alliances, joint investments, and market structure," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 241-251, February.
- Creane, Anthony & Konishi, Hideo, 2009. "The unilateral incentives for technology transfers: Predation (and deterrence) by proxy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 379-389, May.
- Chen, Zhiqi & Ross, Thomas W., 2003. "Cooperating upstream while competing downstream: a theory of input joint ventures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 381-397, March.
- J. Nolan & P. Ritchie & J. Rowcroft, 2001. "Open skies and open gates," Transportation, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 119-135, May.
- Mathews, Richmond D., 2006. "Strategic alliances, equity stakes, and entry deterrence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 35-79, April.
- Eduardo Saavedra & Felipe Balmaceda, 2004.
"Vertical Integration and Shared Facilities in Unregulated Industries,"
ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers
inv153, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Felipe Balmaceda & Eduardo Saavedra, 2004. "Vertical Integration and Shared Facilities in Unregulated Industries," Documentos de Trabajo 195, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Felipe Balmaceda(University of Chile), Eduardo Saavedra(Georgetown University/Ilades), 2004. "Vertical Integration and Shared Facilities in Unregulated Industries," Working Papers gueconwpa~04-04-13, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Lazzarini, Sergio G., 2002. "The Performance Implications of Membership in Competing Firm Constellations: Evidence from the Global Airline Industry," Insper Working Papers wpe_23, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Ojah, Kalu, 2007. "Costs, valuation, and long-term operating effects of global strategic alliances," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 69-90.
- Qiu, Larry D., 2010. "Cross-border mergers and strategic alliances," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 818-831, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.