Testing conditional asymmetry: A residual-based approach
AbstractWe propose three residual-based tests for conditional asymmetry. The distribution is assumed to fall into the class of skewed distributions of Fernández and Steel (1998). In this class, asymmetry is measured by the ratio between the probabilities of being larger and smaller than the mode. Estimation is performed under the null hypothesis of constant asymmetry of the innovations and, in a second step, tests for conditional asymmetry are performed on generalized residuals through parametric and nonparametric methods. We derive the asymptotic distribution of the tests that incorporates the uncertainty of the estimated parameters. A Monte Carlo study shows that neglecting this uncertainty severely biases the tests. An empirical application on a basket of daily returns reveals that financial data often present dynamics in the conditional skewness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jedc
Conditional asymmetry; Residuals; Wald; Runs;
Other versions of this item:
- Philippe Lambert & Sébastien Laurent & David Veredas, 2012. "Testing conditional asymmetry. A residual based approach," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136195, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Kenneth D. West, 1994.
"Asymptotic Inference About Predictive Ability,"
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0841, Econometric Society.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Zheng, John Xu, 1998. "Consistent Specification Testing For Conditional Symmetry," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 139-149, February.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-30, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Bai, Jushan & Ng, Serena, 2001. "A consistent test for conditional symmetry in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 225-258, July.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Conditional volatility, skewness, and kurtosis: existence, persistence, and comovements," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1699-1737, August.
- Garcia, René & Renault, Eric & Veredas, David, 2011.
"Estimation of stable distributions by indirect inference,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 161(2), pages 325-337, April.
- GARCIA, René & RENAULT, Eric & VEREDAS, David, 2006. "Estimation of stable distributions by indirect inference," CORE Discussion Papers 2006112, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2010.
"Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR–GARCH models,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1002, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," Economics Series Working Papers 396, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter Estimation in Nonlinear AR-GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2008/25, European University Institute.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2008. "Parameter estimation in nonlinear AR-GARCH models," CREATES Research Papers 2008-30, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Veredas, David, 2009.
"Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2309-2324, April.
- LOMBARDI, Marco & VEREDAS, David, 2007. "Indirect estimation of elliptical stable distributions," CORE Discussion Papers 2007018, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jose Olmo, 2008. "On the role of volatility for modelling risk exposure," International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 219-234.
- Sébastien Laurent, 2004. "Analytical Derivates of the APARCH Model," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 51-57, 08.
- Robert F. Dittmar, 2002. "Nonlinear Pricing Kernels, Kurtosis Preference, and Evidence from the Cross Section of Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 369-403, 02.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1996.
"Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of GARCH Estimates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 399-417, July-Aug..
- Fiorentini,G. & Calzolari,G. & Panattoni,L., 1995. "Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of Garch Estimates," Papers 9519, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lee, Tae-Hwy, 2003. "Diagnostic Checking For The Adequacy Of Nonlinear Time Series Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(06), pages 1065-1121, December.
- Egorov, Alexei V. & Hong, Yongmiao & Li, Haitao, 2006. "Validating forecasts of the joint probability density of bond yields: Can affine models beat random walk?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 255-284.
- Christoffersen, Peter F, 1998. "Evaluating Interval Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 841-62, November.
- Samuelson, Paul A, 1970. "The Fundamental Approximation Theorem of Portfolio Analysis in terms of Means, Variances, and Higher Moments," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(4), pages 537-42, October.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Carlos Escanciano, J., 2007. "Nonparametric tests for conditional symmetry in dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 652-682, December.
- Y. K. Tse, 2002. "Residual-based diagnostics for conditional heteroscedasticity models," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 358-374, 06.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Yongmiao Hong, 2005. "Nonparametric Specification Testing for Continuous-Time Models with Applications to Term Structure of Interest Rates," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 37-84.
- Elena Andreou & Bas J.M. Werker, 2014. "Residual-based Rank Specification Tests for AR-GARCH type models," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 02-2014, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.