Testing Conditional Dynamics in Asymmetry. A Residual-Based Approach
AbstractWe propose three residual-based tests for conditional dynamic asymmetry. Estimation is performed under the null hypothesis of constant asymmetry of the innovations and, in a second step, the tests are performed either through a parametric model or a nonparametric method (runs). The working distribution is assumed to fall into the class of skewed distributions of Fernandez and Steel (1998) for which asymmetry is measured by the ratio between the probabilities of being larger and smaller than the mode. We derive the asymptotic distribution of the tests that incorporates the uncertainty of the estimated parameters in the first step. A Monte Carlo study shows that neglecting this uncertainty severely biases the tests and an empirical application on a basket of daily returns reveals that financial data often present dynamics in the conditional skewness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers ECARES with number 2008_009.
Length: 29 p.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by:
Conditional skewness; asymmetry; residuals;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bontemps, Christian & Meddahi, Nour, 2005.
"Testing normality: a GMM approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 149-186, January.
- BONTEMPS, Christian & MEDDAHI, Nour, 2002. "Testing Normality : A GMM Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2002-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Christian Bontemps & Nour Meddahi, 2002. "Testing Normality: A GMM Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-63, CIRANO.
- Bontemps, Christian & Meddahi, Nour, 2005. "Testing Normality: a GMM Approach," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-30, August.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Phillipe Lambert & J. K. Lindsey, 1999. "Analysing Financial Returns by Using Regression Models Based on Non-Symmetric Stable Distributions," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 48(3), pages 409-424.
- Egorov, Alexei V. & Hong, Yongmiao & Li, Haitao, 2006. "Validating forecasts of the joint probability density of bond yields: Can affine models beat random walk?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 255-284.
- Pierre Giot and S»bastien Laurent, 2001.
"Value-At-Risk For Long And Short Trading Positions,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2001
94, Society for Computational Economics.
- Pierre Giot & Sébastien Laurent, 2003. "Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 641-663.
- GIOT, Pierre & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2001. "Value-at-risk for long and short trading positions," CORE Discussion Papers 2001022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2002.
"A new class of multivariate skew densities, with appplication to GARCH models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Sébastien Laurent, 2002. "A New Class of Multivariate skew Densities, with Application to GARCH Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 5, Society for Computational Economics.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Conditional volatility, skewness, and kurtosis: existence, persistence, and comovements," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1699-1737, August.
- Massimo Guidolin & Allan Timmermann, 2008.
"International asset allocation under regime switching, skew, and kurtosis preferences,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(2), pages 889-935, April.
- Massimo Guidolin & Allan Timmerman, 2006. "International asset allocation under regime switching, skew and kurtosis preferences," Working Papers 2005-034, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Bai, Jushan & Ng, Serena, 2001. "A consistent test for conditional symmetry in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 225-258, July.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Lee, Tae-Hwy, 2003. "Diagnostic Checking For The Adequacy Of Nonlinear Time Series Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(06), pages 1065-1121, December.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Escanciano, Juan Carlos, 2007.
"Nonparametric Tests for Conditional Symmetry in Dynamic Models,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/2494, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Carlos Escanciano, J., 2007. "Nonparametric tests for conditional symmetry in dynamic models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 652-682, December.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Robert F. Dittmar, 2002. "Nonlinear Pricing Kernels, Kurtosis Preference, and Evidence from the Cross Section of Equity Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 369-403, 02.
- FernÃ¡ndez, C. & Steel, M.F.J., 1996. "On Bayesian Modelling of Fat Tails and Skewness," Discussion Paper 1996-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.