Nonmedical use of prescription medications: A longitudinal analysis with adolescents involved in child welfare
AbstractThis study evaluated a sample of 1005 adolescents involved in the child welfare system, looking for risk and protective factors in their nonmedical use of prescription medications. It comprised a secondary data analysis of longitudinal records extracted from the National Survey of Child and Adolescent Well-Being (NSCAW), and it employed generalized estimating equations. Its multivariate results indicate that such use of medications in the past 30days was (a) associated positively with misuse of prescribed drugs prior to NSCAW participation and with time involved in the child welfare system, as well; but (b) associated negatively with parental monitoring and feeling close to parents. Implications for services and research are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Children and Youth Services Review.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/childyouth
Prescription medication; Adolescents; Child welfare; Child maltreatment; Parental monitoring;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng, Tyrone C. & Lo, Celia C., 2010. "Drug use among maltreated adolescents receiving child welfare services," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 1735-1739, December.
- Cheng, Tyrone C. & Lo, Celia C., 2010. "The roles of parenting and child welfare services in alcohol use by adolescents," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 38-43, January.
- Orton, Heather D. & Riggs, Paula D. & Libby, Anne M., 2009. "Prevalence and characteristics of depression and substance use in a U.S. child welfare sample," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 649-653, June.
- Cheng, Tyrone C. & Lo, Celia C., 2011. "A longitudinal analysis of some risk and protective factors in marijuana use by adolescents receiving child welfare services," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1667-1672, September.
- Karen A. Snedker & Jerald R. Herting & Emily Walton, 2009. "Contextual Effects and Adolescent Substance Use: Exploring the Role of Neighborhoods," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1272-1297.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.