The Target Zone Model, Non-linearity and Mean Reversion: Is the Honeymoon Really Over?
AbstractThe authors estimate a target zone model for three ERM exchange rates for 1983-86 and 1987-91 by the method of simulated moments, taking account of the continuous time specification by using daily data with the interruptions of holidays and weekends. Specification tests are unable to reject the model. The estimates imply, however, an essentially linear relationship between the exchange rate and the fundamentals, with a very limited honeymoon effect. Using Monte Carlo simulations, calibrated on the estimates, the authors find that standard tests for mean reversion of the exchange rate would largely reject the target zone model when, in fact, it held.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 109 (1999)
Issue (Month): 454 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Timo Terasvirta, 2004.
"A Time Series Model for an Exchange Rate in a Target Zone with Applications,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
340, Econometric Society.
- Lundbergh, Stefan & Terasvirta, Timo, 2006. "A time series model for an exchange rate in a target zone with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 579-609.
- Lundbergh, Stefan & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2003. "A time series model for an exchange rate in a target zone with applications," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 533, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke & Nicole Glanemann, 2011.
"The Signalling Channel of Central Bank Interventions: Modelling the Yen/US Dollar Exchange Rate,"
Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics
260, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke & Nicole Glanemann, 2014. "The Signalling Channel of Central Bank Interventions: Modelling the Yen/US Dollar Exchange Rate," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 311-336, April.
- Yu-Fu Chen & Michael Funke & Nicole Glanemann, 2011. "The Signalling Channel of Central Bank Interventions: Modelling the Yen / US Dollar Exchange Rate," CESifo Working Paper Series 3610, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chen, Yu-Fu & Funke, Michael & Glanemann, Nicole, 2011. "The Signalling Channel of Central Bank Interventions: Modelling the Yen/US Dollar Exchange Rate," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-66, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Michael Funke & Yu-Fu Chen & Nicole Glanemann, 2011. "The Signalling Channel of Central Bank Interventions: Modelling the Yen / US Dollar Exchange Rate," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 21110, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Brandner, Peter & Grech, Harald & Stix, Helmut, 2006.
"The effectiveness of central bank intervention in the EMS: The post 1993 experience,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 580-597, June.
- Peter Brandner & Harald Grech & Helmut Stix, 2001. "The Effectiveness of Central Bank Intervention in the EMS: The Post 1993 Experience," Working Papers 55, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Peter Brandner & Harald Grech & Helmut Stix, 2001. "The Effectiveness of Central Bank Intervention in the EMS. The Post 1993 Experience," WIFO Working Papers 168, WIFO.
- repec:onb:oenbwp:y::i:55:b:1 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jesús Rodríguez López & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2006.
"The optimal degree of exchange rate flexibility: A target zone approach,"
06.22, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Jes�s Rodríguez López & Hugo Rodríguez Mendizábal, 2007. "The Optimal Degree of Exchange Rate Flexibility: a Target Zone Approach," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(4), pages 803-822, 09.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.