Minimum wage and the average wage in France: a circular relationship?
AbstractThis paper investigates whether increases in the minimum wage in France have the same impact on the average wage when intended to preserve the purchasing power of the minimum wage as when intended to raise it. We find that the impact of the minimum wage on the average wage is strong, but differs depending on the indexation factor. We also find some empirical evidence of circularity between the average wage and the minimum wage.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Minimum Wage; Average Wage; France;
Other versions of this item:
- Cette, Gilbert & Chouard, Valérie & Verdugo, Gregory, 2013. "Minimum Wage and the Average Wage in France: A Circular Relationship?," IZA Discussion Papers 7502, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J3 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs
- J5 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilbert Cette & Étienne Wasmer, 2010.
"La revalorisation automatique du SMIC,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(1), pages 139-159.
- Cette, Gilbert & Etienne, Wasmer, 2009.
"La revalorisation automatique du SMIC
[Automatic indexation rules of the French minimum wage (SMIC)]," MPRA Paper 18855, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cette, Gilbert & Etienne, Wasmer, 2009. "La revalorisation automatique du SMIC
- Griliches, Zvi & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Errors in variables in panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 93-118, February.
- Patrick Sevestre & Pierre Blanchard, 1989. "L'indexation des salaires : quelle rupture en 1982 ?," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 87(1), pages 67-74.
- Pierre Cahuc & Cette Gilbert & André Zylberberg, 2008. "Salaire minimum et bas revenus," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00638149, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.