Early-Retirement Programs and Wage Restraint: Empirical Evidence from France
AbstractLabour-force withdrawal program are an important unemployment policy instrument for certain governments in continental Europe. Two widely used interventions are government subsidised early-retirement programs and reduced working-time regulations. Most economists, however, have cast doubts concerning their efficacy in combatting unemployment, in part because the reduced labour force renders wages more resilient. The basic objective of this paper is to examine that wage-resiliency proposition using the application of the early-retirement program in France over the period 1984-1986.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Ottawa, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 9905e.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PO Box 450, Station A, Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 6N5
Phone: (613) 562-5753
Fax: (613) 562-5999
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.uottawa.ca/eco/eng/index.asp
More information through EDIRC
RETIREMENT ; WAGES ; COLLECTIVE BARGAINING;
Other versions of this item:
- David M. Gray, 2002. "Early retirement programs and wage restraint: Empirical evidence from France," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 55(3), pages 512-532, April.
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J26 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Retirement; Retirement Policies
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Herbertsson, Tryggvi Thor & Orszag, Mike, 2003. "The Early Retirement Burden: Assessing the Costs of the Continued Prevalence of Early Retirement in OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 816, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Ritchot).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.