Temporary work as an active labor market policy: Evaluating an innovative program for disadvantaged youths
AbstractWhile high rates of youth unemployment are a severe problem in most European countries, the program evaluation literature shows that disadvantaged youths constitute a group that is particularly difficult to assist effectively. As innovative measures are thus needed, we evaluate a German pilot program that targets low-skilled young unemployed and combines three components: a) individual coaching, b) classroom training and c) temporary work. Using an ex-post quasi-randomization approach, our analysis shows that the program has a positive impact on the post-program employment probability of participants.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Program evaluation; disadvantaged youths; temporary work; ALMP;
Other versions of this item:
- Ehlert, Christoph & Kluve, Jochen & Schaffner, Sandra, 2012. "Temporary Work as an Active Labor Market Policy: Evaluating an Innovative Program for Disadvantaged Youths," IZA Discussion Papers 6670, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- J0 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - General
- J6 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2009.
"Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-analysis,"
NRN working papers
2009-02, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- David Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2010. "Active Labour Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-Analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(548), pages F452-F477, November.
- Card, David & Kluve, Jochen & Weber, Andrea, 2009. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 4002, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2010. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-Analysis," NBER Working Papers 16173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2009. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations: A Meta-analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2570, CESifo Group Munich.
- David Card & Jochen Kluve & Andrea Weber, 2009. "Active Labor Market Policy Evaluations – A Meta-analysis," Ruhr Economic Papers 0086, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Michael Kvasnicka, 2005.
"Does Temporary Agency Work Provide a Stepping Stone to Regular Employment?,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2005-031, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Michael Kvasnicka, 2005. "Does Temporary Agency Work Provide a Stepping Stone to Regular Employment?," Labor and Demography 0510005, EconWPA.
- Centeno, Luis & Centeno, Mário & Novo, Álvaro A., 2009.
"Evaluating job-search programs for old and young individuals: Heterogeneous impact on unemployment duration,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 12-25, January.
- Luis Centeno & Mário Centeno & Álvaro A. Novo, 2008. "Evaluating Job Search Programs for Old and Young Individuals: Heterogeneous Impact on Unemployment Duration," Working Papers w200806, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Jensen, Peter & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2003. "The response of youth unemployment to benefits, incentives, and sanctions," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 301-316, June.
- Maibom Pedersen, Jonas & Rosholm, Michael & Svarer, Michael, 2014. "Can Active Labour Market Policies Combat Youth Unemployment?," IZA Discussion Papers 7912, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.